10

Kiaran Lanier
March 13, 2020
4:30 p.m.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KIARANNNNN, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUU", my coworkers sang loudly while bringing out a cake.

"Ohmygosh. Guys you didn't have to."

"Ohhh, but we did. Happy early 21st birthday Kiaran. Thank you for all you've done here at the station. Even though you're an intern, you've done way more in just a year than some of the people that have been here for years. No shade, but thank you. We appreciate you being apart of the fam," Stuey said to me while handing me a birthday card.

"Awww thanks guys. I love being here!"

"Sooo watchu doin for your 21st tomorrow ? Don't be acting grown now."

"She probably gonna hang out with her boyfriend ummm NBA Ricch Baby", Mz Shyneka suggested.

I tried to keep my private life and work life separate, but ever since The Shade Room made that post about Roddy and I, that was down the drain. There was no way I was going to be able to hide it from people whose jobs is basically to find out those kind of things. They all constantly tease my about it, but what's new.

I busted out laughing. "Now you know damn well that isn't his name Mz Shyneka and that ain't my boyfriend either. He's my friend."

"Mhm whatever. It's all the same."

""Nah he ain't one of those weirdo rappers. He's Roddy Ricch."

Stuey and Mz Shyneka jumped back as if I bucked at them. "Look at her defending her lil boyfriend. We love to see it!" The two laughed while I just sat there rolling my eyes.

"Ion care if he Roddy Broke, Roddy Middle Class, Roddy Ricch. I will put that nigga in a headlock if he try something." Stuey was like an uncle to me, so it made sense why he was being overprotective.

"No need for headlocks. I wouldn't let him try anything anyways. Nothing to worry about."

"Better not be."

I looked at my watch and seen that is was now 5 which meant it was time for me to clock out .
"Well would ya look at that. It's time for me to go", I stated looking for a way to avoid anymore questions.

"Alright Kiaran. Whatever you do this weekend , stay safe. We need you in one whole piece on Monday."

"Gotcha! See y'all Monday," I waved while walking out the studio.

I got in my car and started heading towards my house. My birthday is actually tomorrow and I'm looking forwards to my plans. I was going to eat, sleep, and smoke by myself like every year.
I never really cared for my birthday. It was always just a reminder of how much of a loser I was since I've never had many friends. I never had a party or go out anywhere extravagant. I just chill and thank God every year. And with Helena being in Paris for Fashion Week this would make my task easier since she was the only one who knew my birthday in ATL and would try to drag me out the house every year.

The Next Day
March 14, 2020
11:00 a.m.
"Kiaran's 21st Birthday"

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIARAN", my whole family screamed through the FaceTime call.