Chapter 2

The Rookie:

"Come on! Give me your best shot,"

"Not now Mickey, I'm going to my room. Just not feeling it today" I told him, as I redirected some of his punches. It's been a while since being on earth. I've been on the frigate for about a year now. Worked with the Master Chief often. Oh, did I forget to say I became a Spartan? Well, I just did.

After recovering from injuries, I was promoted to a Spartan officer and had the genetic process done.

Now, I feel different. Some part of me says that I have what it takes to be in combat, yet another says I'm not.

I exit the training area and walk down the halls. The same path of when I was an ODST on the mission on earth. I've been left a scar to remember the battle down the right side of my face.

"Hey, Rookie, feeling okay?" I heard a voice behind me. Turning back I find Chan, a fellow Spartan that works on my team. He always looked after the rest of us, even if we want to be alone, like now.

"I'm fine"

"Doesn't seem like it, what's on your mind?" he asks, looking concerned.

I take a moment to think, then I gesture him to follow as I continue walking to my room. Chan was a good man, standing about seven foot six, he wasn't intimidating. His family was from the Chinese nation, though it doesn't look like it, he knows just about anything.

Once entering and letting Chan in, I slid the opaque door shut. Walking over to the table right across, I sat down and opened a file. Chan watched in silence as I prepared something.

Typing in pass codes and breaking a firewall in the network, I turn on the chair and face Chan.

He looks at me curious on what I had just done. Motioning him to look over, he leaned forward and watched. I played a video that was kept in secure UNSC data networks.

He watched in astonishment as the video played. I just watched his reactions as that I have seen the video several times to the point where I know every part and detail to what happens.

Once it finishes, he looks over facing me.

"What...was...that?" I took a small deep breath before speaking.

"What you just saw, first off, is highly classified transmissions from the network, got it?" he nods.

"This shows the Heretics attacking UNSC ships on the way to a Halo ring. A soldier was transmitting this here as he entered their ship. I'm not too sure on what happens, due to that the picture wasn't clear, but there is something bad. After reading some classified files recently, I have read that our team of Spartans, with the chief, are going to be sent down to the Halo ring. Meaning.....we are heading into an unknown world where they said the Flood had been found again."

He sat back for a moment. The time before the Arbiter left again after the war on earth, I was the only other person to know about the flood.

"The flood....., I thought we got rid of them on the last Halo ring!"

"Listen to me Chan, no else beside the commander, Master Chief know about this."

He started to slowly stand up, facing the door. Carefully watching him, I was about to jump. Just as expected he darted for the door, but I quickly leaped from the chair tackling him to the wall.

He heavily breathed as I held him against the wall. He stared at me with some fear in his eyes.

"I told you, don't tell anyone or I'll find you. You got it?" he gulped as I held him tighter from his uniform. Even though he was a good man, many say he couldn't be trusted, yet...I'll make sure he doesn't say a word.

"Got it?!" I raise my tone. The sense of anger inside me out of nowhere. I seemed like a different person, but my body kept the position waiting for an answer.

"Y-yes...I heard you," he said roughly. I let him go after a few seconds, then he dropped down. Stepping back still watching him, he stood back up and fixed his uniform. He gave a small nod as he headed for the door.

*beep beep*

I turn over and see that there was a message on the computer screen. Walking over and clicking it open, I saw the commander.

"Rookie, I need you here in command stat."

How much would I bet that it's about the mission on halo?

Closing all the windows and screens, and transferring the files unto a chip, I walked out of my room.

The Commander:

"I know we can stop the heretics, sir."

"Master Chief, I know your record and service, but this is something you haven't seen yet. The covenant you saw back on earth were only the scouts. They are much stronger and now that they separated, this could be interesting.

"All I'm saying is, take a team of Spartans with you on the battle field. Let them do most of the work, you just do your job. Not as disrespect, but as a favor," I ask the Chief.

"With all due respect, sir, I will do of what you ask, but if needed...I will take this onto my own hands and do what is right," his words are...as I say, meaningful. Just then, the rookie walks in looking curious.

"You needed me sir?" he asks in a firm tone. I nod and gesture him over to the hologram table, he looks as if to know what is coming so I just go out with it. He is of course, the last one in the room to know.

"Rookie, I know the last battle wasn't too far ago. It seems that the covenant, or now called heretics, are going back to the newly discovered Halo, that wasn't mentioned too long ago. I call you here today to ask of you a favor. I have a mission with the Master Chief to go to the Halo ring and stop the Heretics from causing anything major. You will assemble a team of Spartans to assist the Chief in the mission."

The Rookie stands watching the hologram of the Halo ring. He seems to putting a lot of thought into this, so I stand and wait. He starts walking around the table slowly analyzing any possible challenges. Slowly a ship started to enter the hologram map, it seemed to be a covenant ship heading straight for the Halo ring. More and more ships entered the map, the Rookie looked up.

"I'll accept the mission, sir."

After a while of discussing with the chief, they both left leaving me alone, watching the hologram. Yet, alone did I know this would happen somehow, I watched with my own eyes one of the heretic ships blew up. Debris flying in all directions, crashing into the other ships. Havoc happened, not much was to say on this. But the first of many battles had already begun with the covenant and the Heretics.

"This is the UNSC Leviathan II, set course for the Halo ring. To all marines, prepare for war"

_____________________________________________

And that is Chapter 2, hope you guys enjoyed it, and I need ideas for a name of the team that the Rookie will lead.

Comment, Vote ENJOY.

- Lieutenant SMspartan