Nine

Riverstone couldn't help but feel pride as Mosskit grew, soon becoming Mosspaw. She had been assigned to Viperstrike as his apprentice, though Riverstone was honestly kind of jealous. Nonetheless, she was happy for her Clanmate, purring with glee and welcoming Mosspaw as a training warrior of CobraClan.

Today, however, Riverstone knew something was off. She could feel a tension strong in the air, as if she could reach up and claw it in two. As she left the warrior's den that morning to the busy happenings of the Clan post-dawn, she saw Amberstar watching his Clan from the Leader's Cliff, talking to Snakeeye in a hushed tone. Other cats could tell as well; she could see faces turned towards the leader and deputy all around camp, now that she'd been looking. She quietly surveyed the cats around her, the air thick around her, and soon paused upon spotting Myrtlebranch.

"Myrtlebranch!" Riverstone trotted towards the warrior.

"Oh, hey Riverstone," Myrtlebranch meowed, looking up.

"What's happening?"

"They're thinking about talking to ViperClan again, about the territory buildup. They're not stopping." Myrtlebranch returned her gaze to the two toms.

"What's Amberstar's problem with them getting territory?" Riverstone asked. "Why doesn't he let them have it?"

Myrtlebranch paused, tail tip twitching. She's got the same questions I do, Riverstone realized.

"Maybe it's because they won't stop if they get what they want." Myrtlebranch murmured.

"If I were them, I'd be trying to get more land too," Riverstone meowed, watching the two toms now. "The Clan is huge."

Myrtlebranch turned to Riverstone, startled. "Where is this coming from? You're usually against ViperClan."

"Remember last night's Gathering?"

"Clearly. ViperClan and BoaClan are fighting now too." Myrtlebranch wrinkled her nose.

"I don't mean that," Riverstone meowed. "Besides, they were fighting from the beginning. What I mean is, I talked to Frostheart there. She told me that cats there weren't violent all the time. They're just... really desperate. It's kind of sad to think about. Besides, they're not all bad."

"Name three Vipers off of the top of your head that aren't bad and I'll believe you."

Hmm, let's see.. Cypressscar... Blazescar... Flintstar... Briarsky...

"Frostheart and Amberwater are alright, and I think I've met Splashstride before."

"Splashstride's kind of standoffish, isn't he?"

"A little, but he's okay once you talk to him." Riverstone's tail swished lazily against the dirt.

"I can't believe it," Myrtlebranch sighed. "Leave it to you to find kind Vipers."

"You'll never know who you'll meet."

"I guess so. Are you planning on going with? Amberstar might set up a patrol."

"Is he? Keep in mind I woke up not too long ago."

"Oversleep much?" Myrtlebranch laughed, her muscles easing up. "Nevermind. I'll fill you in if he doesn't take you."

"Alright."

Riverstone glanced up at Amberstar, then Snakeeye. Both cats were beginning to stand.

"All cats old enough to streak the woodland on their own, please gather for a Clan meeting." Amberstar turned to face the Clan. Riverstone looked around, confused; As far as she could tell, they were already gathered.