Twelve

!CONTENT WARNING!

This chapter contains elements of violence (involving two major characters) and is a key chapter in the story! If you are uncomfortable with this topic, please do not read this chapter!

(Thank you! For those still here, enjoy!)

Riverstone still felt out of place as she paced beside Snakestar a few weeks later, tail low to the ground as she studied the Clan behind her. The Clan that she would soon lead, her mind reminded her as she switched her gaze to the stoic, determined face of her leader. He looked confident in his pawsteps, traversing the territory grounds intelligently despite his usual klutzy demeanor.

They reached the Gathering in due time, and although it was tempting to look for Mittens' face in the swarm, Riverstone decided she should get to know the other Clan deputies. She padded calmly to the space underneath the Great Rock, easily spotting the three idly chatting warriors among the other cats. She fought her nerves as she approached them, putting on a smile that she hoped was convincing.

BoaClan's deputy, Sprucebranch, was the first to look up as Riverstone sat. "Oh, hello," he meowed, smiling welcomingly. "Was there something you needed?"

"No," she meowed awkwardly, cringing as she shattering her outward appearance. "Snakestar appointed me as the new deputy."

"I thought I'd heard something about a new deputy," Petalwing, PythonClan's deputy mused. "Congratulations!"

"Uh, thanks," Riverstone replied as she settled down, tail tip flicking. "I'm really not sure I deserve it."

"Well, Snakeeye - Snakestar, right, sorry - has always had good judgement," Petalwing explained. "You know that. He must have picked you for a good reason."

"I guess so," Riverstone mused thoughtfully, curling her tail around her paws.

"What do you think, Alderleaf?" Petalwing looked at the old tom, much to Riverstone's surprise. Blazestar picked him to be her deputy?

Riverstone switched her gaze to the older ginger tom. He glared at Riverstone for a moment, then growled and looked away darkly.

"Not much for conversation, is he?" Petalwing's whiskers twitched.

"Well, Riverstone did kill his leader," Sprucebranch murmured to her. Riverstone lowered her head, the shame hot on her fur.

"Say, Riverstone," Sprucebranch meowed after a moment. "have you seen Nightstripe lately? He's been gone for a whole moon. We were wondering if he came to CobraClan."

"Nightstripe's not back?" Riverstone asked, wide-eyed. There it was; that sinking stone settling in her stomach, telling her Mittens had not returned, had not listened to her.

"No," Sprucebranch told her. "We've searched every fox-length of BoaClan and can't find him anywhere."

"I wonder where he is." Petalwing shifted uncomfortably.

"Some of the other warriors are getting uneasy, too," Sprucebranch went on nervously. "Some of them have told me-"

A loud yowl cut Sprucebranch off; the older dark brown she-cat obediently silenced and paid attention to the leaders overhead.

Blazestar was the first to step forward, amber eyes scanning the cats. "ViperClan has been expanding its borders. We have taken the territory behind us with the permission of Snakestar."

Snakestar narrowed his eyes behind her. Blatant lies. Riverstone knew it; Snakestar had been establishing his leadership for the past moon.