Chapter 12: Second chances

Gabriel reviewed the week's schedule with Natalie. It was a full week with very few windows open for his more important work. Having to schedule short Hawkmoth-time limited his options at choosing a target. These situations have forced him to use less-than-desired akumas with often disastrous results. The comments by Chat Noir during those encounters have been rather embarrassing.

It was these thoughts that drove Gabriel to jump out of his seat at the strong sensation coming from his miraculous.

"Sir? What is it?" Natalie rose from her chair.

"There is someone with a strong emotion perfect for what I need. I can't let this opportunity pass me by."

Gabriel pressed the concealed buttons in his wife's painting, sending him to his hidden lair. Natalie joined Hawkmoth moments later.

"A lover stepping on their partner's feeling, ignoring their cry for loyalty and flaunts their indiscretions. How can you trust such a partner?" Hawkmoth wicked grin spread. "Go, my wicked little akuma, find this jealous soul and evilize him."

Hawkmoth opened his hand to release the dark butterfly, sending it to the open window. The akuma flew up a short distance, reversed and headed back into the room towards the elevator.

"Again?" Hawkmoth said in surprise as the akuma pushed itself through the crack.

"What is going on?" Natalie followed the akuma's path, shock painting her face. "Where is it going, and what do you mean again?"

"It's Adrien. I suspect he's hiding a girlfriend from me. I've been too busy to deal with it. This is the second time he attracted my akuma. This relationship is not good for him. We must find out what is going on and put a stop to it."

"Well, yes. I believe he is dating Marinette Dupain-Cheng," Natalie looked away.

"You know about this?"

"Not officially, sir." She still did not meet his gaze. "I have noticed he's been around her more often than usual. I have suspected, but I did not look too closely."

"Why did you not find out more details? Why did you not let me know? This is highly irregular."

"She's a good kid, and he looked so happy I did not want to accidentally ruin things for him." Natalie squirmed under Hawkmoth's stare. "Em, sir? The akuma? It hasn't returned."

Now it was Hawkmoth's turn to look uncomfortable. "I've realized that Adrien will make a good akuma. He's intelligent, and he's emotions are quite powerful."

"Gabriel, no!" Natalie looked at him, eyes wide. "He is your son. Don't do that to him."

"He will be safe, Natalie. I will make sure nothing happens to him."

"You can't put him through this? He'll be devastated. You know how sensitive he is. When he realizes that he caused others pain while being an akuma...it would destroy him."

Hawkmoth met Natalie's eyes, the two attempting to read each other's thoughts.

"What would he think of you?" Natalie went on. "When it's all over and he finds out, how will he handle you being Hawkmoth. How will he react when he finds out you are the one who akumtized him?"

Hawkmoth held her stare for long moments, not willing to give in. Eventually, he sighed, lowered his head and said, "you're right. I can't do that to him. I'll call back my akuma."