Epilogue: A year later

With a shaking hand, Marinette handed the forms. The receptionist gave her a reassuring smile as she took the bundle of papers.

"It will be fine, relax. Did you add in a digital portfolio?" the young woman asked. Her long earrings swiveled when she moved her head, reflecting the light in the room. Marinette felt a chill at the butterfly logo on her blue shirt, knowing where the inspiration came from.

"I did, thank you for asking."

"No problem. Don't forget, if you're shortlisted for the internship, we'll contact you and ask you to bring in any items you made."

"Thank you, I'll remember that," Marinette felt confident enough to return her smile. "I've made many items from my portfolio, I've included photos of the final product."

"Sounds to me you'll do fine. Good luck then."

Marinette understood the polite dismissal, walked to the door and tripped over air someone left in her path. Sprawled on the floor, she prayed being a klutz will not count against her application. A hand showed up above her head which she gladly grabbed to assist with getting up.

"Thank you."

"It's a paw-sure, my lady."

Her whole body froze, the hairs rising on her neck. She looked up to find Adrien grinning from ear to ear.

"I'm sorry," he said, still grinning. "I couldn't help myself."

Marinette looked around, no-one gave them more than a passing glance.

"Okay, I guess," she relaxed. "They wouldn't get the reference."

"Marinette, it is so great to see you. How have you been?"

"I'm doing well," Marinette was not sure how to react.

"That is wonderful. What is the occasion that you are blessing us with your presence today?"

Adrien's smile was infectious, she couldn't help but smile back.

"I'm applying for an internship."

"That's about time. You know I have some connections in this company, I could put in a good word."

"Don't you dare!" Marinette adopted a stern tone. "I was hoping you wouldn't find out about it until I got my answer, I don't want you influencing it."

"Yes ma'am," Adrien held up his arms in surrender. "I was joking. I know very well that you like to achieve things yourself. Would you at least allow me to hope and pray that you get in?"

"Thank you, I appreciate that," Marinette was back to a soft friendly voice.

Adrien looked away, shuffling his feet.

"Marinette, I'd like to catch up a bit. Could I offer you some coffee? There is a great coffee machine in the kitchen. It took me six months, but I finally figured out how to use it. I'd like to show off my abilities."

Marinette considered the offer, it would be nice catching up. She has made a conscious effort not to follow his activities.

"I would like some coffee."

"Great. Follow me."

"I find this strange," Marinette conversed while they were walking. "Adrien was never the side of you to show off. How did you hold back, considering your alter ego would not stop showing off if I paid you?"

"With my father on extended leave somewhere in the South Pacific, the company has fallen on my shoulders. Having to grow up forced my two sides to merge. I needed Chat's confidence and charisma to take this on. And let's not forget," he looked back with a smirk, "you always brought out my strongest feline."