My Darling

I sat at my desk, gazing at my latest diary entry. I kept reading the final words over and over again; "I cannot wait. I cannot wait until summer - I have to get the information and do it now."
I breathed in, and then out, before placing my goggles on the desk beside the diary and gathering my stuff together. I grabbed the leaf-bladed dagger off the shelf, and from inside a locked chest I took my mother's golden lyre and placed them both in my light satchel. I put a bottle of purple dust from my shelf in too. I swung on the satchel and then buttoned my black cape up. I grabbed the lamp from my table and put a box of matches in my pocket. Finally, I tried my hair into a ponytail and left, making my way west. I travelled through the clear dusk - the further west I went, the thinner the trees got until I found myself standing among heather on an open moor. Across the fields of swishing grass I could see the silhouetted Village of Cervos. I could see a number of large stags grazing nearby; the herd of rare spotted deer were sacred to the Village; the all-male herd were sent to protect the Village and its magical wisdom. I glanced at the setting sun; the twilight gave me good cover. Drawing in a breath, I made my way toward the village, hiding behind the sparse trees and I went.

"Who goes there?" Called an elegant voice from the darkness.
My breath caught. It was Ellisar, the strongest stag in the herd. He was gifted with immense strength and courage and, of course, immortality; he was the guardian stag, protector of the village. A few of the stags, including him, could speak English to those in the Village.
And me.
I stepped out into the open, my golden hair flickering in the wind.
Ellisar stamped his hoof and tossed his head, "You're an intruder! I'll kill you where you stand!"
"O Mightly Ellisar of the Sacred Cervos Herd, I am no intruder!" I spread my arms and then bowed, sneakily drawing my lyre from my satchel, "I know the Cervonium Symphony, see."
"I don't believe you!" The great stag trudged forward, snorting, "I swear, I'll-"
He stopped as I started playing. My fingers picked at the strings swiftly, and soon the harmonius song filled the air. It calmed Ellisar and he bowed his head to listen to the song.
"I see I have made a mistake." He murmured, "You may pass, friend."
"Thank you, O Merciful one." I snuck passed him, drawing the final note of the lyre, and ran for the Village. I had played the trick many times; my mother was once a citizen of the Village of Cervos; she taught me about their culture and how to play the lyre, making sure I remembered the Cervonium Symphony, the only tune that can subdue the great Stags of Cervos. I headed in the direction of the village library, the place where this proud, wise town kept all their secrets. I slipped through alleyways and cobbled passes that I knew so well by moonlight, before turning a corner to see the front doors of the library.
Nobody was there.
I took a deep breath and flipped my hood over my head.

Darting through the shadows, I slipped towards the polished oak doors. I pulled the bottle of sand from my pack, chuckling a little at my own ingenious lockpick. I popped the cork stopper off and sprinkled some of the dust gently over the numerous locks; one by one, they clicked open. I replaced the bottle in my satchel and pressed my fingertips against the door. It slid open soundlessly. My black hood flickering gently as I moved, I slipped into the library, pushing the door closed behind me. I breathed deeply and gazed into the darkness. I scrambled for the box of matches and fumbled as I tried to strike one. Finally, a glinting flame to light my lantern. Quietly, I crept through the aisles of books, gazing at the dusty spines, bleached gold by the candlelight. I looked up at the names of the aisles; herbology, enchantments, animal-handling...
I stopped and smiled as I read the sign above corridor ten - necromancy.
I snuck down the aisle, noting many missing books that I had stolen before. I came to the end of the aisle and froze.
A book on display in a glass case sat at the very end, and on the floor, curled up around the pedestal, lay several large dogs. They seemed to be sleeping, though usually I knew better than to try to get near them.
But I was getting desperate.
I blew out my lamp and waited for my eyes to adjust and my heart to stop pounding. Once I was ready, I crept forward. The floorboards were well-built, so I needn't worry about creaking. I tried to hold my breath as I stepped over one; I froze as it moved its head, pausing with my breath drawn, before continuing on. Before long, I stood before the pedestal, past the dogs, my heart beating so loud I was sure they would hear. My hands slipped out of my sleeves and my eyes darted down to examine the book. It was quite big, the cover gleaming black leather; gold runes on the front read "THE SECRETS OF NECROMANCY". My hands shook and my heart raced. Slowly, I reached for the book. The tips of my fingers grazed the glass case that covered it.
"You made it this far, I see."
I started and turned to see a tall-standing stag with a jet black hide, silhouetted against the moonlit room. I instantly regretted it as I felt the hounds stirring around my feet. I stood completely still, staring into the stag's glinting black eyes. The hounds did not rise.
"You are Orctrem," I said quietly, "Guardian of Necromancy."
He dipped his head elegantly, his great antlers cutting the air, "Indeed - and you are our thief." He tilted his head, "Somehow you've managed to avoid me. But don't think I haven't noticed though your antics, girl."
I narrowed my eyes as he trotted gracefully forward, like a shadow.
"Tell me," he lifted his head slightly, "How did you get past the Mighty Ellisar?"
I realized that he had me trapped. I could not play the Cervonium Symphony to charm him, for I would wake the dogs.
I reached for the book, my hand grasping for the case. But Orctrem saw me and snorted, stamping his foot.
"Time for you to leave, little girl." He lifted his head and let out a loud grunt.
I fled, not giving the dogs enough time to get up before I was gone.

I could hear them, barking and racing after me. I burst open the door to the library and charged down the streets, the hounds perusing me.
I wasn't quick enough. As I raced down the last alleyway, I felt one of them nip at my cloak. I tripped and fell, first onto cobblestone but then sliding onto bare dirt. I saw hooves in front of me, and realized I was at the feet of Ellisar once more. I looked up and saw fury in his eyes.
"You!" He roared and I scrambled to sit up, "You tricked me!"
The hounds circled me. Even if I did reach for my lyre they would surely tear me to pieces before the song was over. I instinctively shuffled backwards, only to find myself against a wall.
Ellisar brought up one hoof elegantly; one kick could break my neck and kill me instantly.
I thought of Mum and Dad, then. If I died, at least I would be with them at last. I closed my eyes, ready for the blow.
A furious bark and a distressed bleat.
I opened my eyes to see Ellisar rolling on the floor with a shadowed creature.
A grey wolf with bright golden eyes.
The dogs, trained to protect the sacred stags, leaped to Ellisar's aid. I took the opportunity and fled.
Never again would I visit the Village of Cervos.