Chapter 13

There was tension in the air like Honey had never felt before, swathed in the idle songs of a crisp 'October' night where even the leaves that skittered over the pavement did so in a hushed whisper.

Shadows stretched along the pavement after her, their creeping fingers scratching at the heels of her boots. Their seduction a tired bid, unable to lure her into that violent embrace, even as they offered David up to her, turned his back and placed the hook within her hands. She would try to tell herself he was much too strong, much too big, a losing fight no doubt even if she got the drop on him, but it was all bullshit.

She was afraid and she was kind.

'That will change,' promised the fog.
And maybe it would, but not right then, and not right now.

She padded down the sidewalk, brow furrowed in annoyance as the whispers nagged and begged, teased and promised. It did nothing to sway her beat, still determined to help David's not-friend at the expense of playing tag with a steak knife.

It didn't take long to find her. She was crumpled in the street stewing in her own blood. Honey couldn't tell how many times she'd been stabbed through the plume of crimson that bloomed over her chest, but it was certainly enough to spill her insides to the outsides.

She visibly recoiled from the scene, slapping a hand over her nose and mouth. "Oh crap," she said.

Somewhere behind her a generator chugged to life.

It was David. She could see the house behind her flicker to life, dark shadows chased away by a homely glow. It was almost inviting, until it wasn't. The Shape stood in the peel of black that curled about the sidewalk, his eyes turned up to the very same house from dark mists and whispering fog, watching patiently as David crept out in his success.

This wasn't David's first trial, or his second for that matter, he was experienced, he knew what lured the wolves from their dens and the sounds that followed them in the voice of the crows. He didn't wait to see their teeth. He quietly climbing out of the second story window and onto the porch awning.

Honey had initially found this maneuver to be a bit bizarre. He had the safety of an entire house at his back, doors and all the locks that came with them. Yet he opted for danger and not only for the thrill, but an obvious purpose. Then it hit her, despite all the hinderances he could put between himself and The Shape, he'd still need to get downstairs. Rather than bottleneck himself on the butcher's block, he had climbed onto the roof, squatted and waited.

The generator's idle chugging was sure to attract some unwanted attention, a clear demarcation to his presence within the suburbs. An easy target and he'd be right, because The Shape was still standing there in darkness, looking up at David's growing confidence.

It was a game of patience between the two. David waited in silence and so did The Shape. It was only lucky that Honey had spotted him first, catching just the edge of his sleeve illuminated by the red and blue lights that cut through the thicket of Hackberry leaves.

With his stillness, he was invisible.

David must not have seen him and accepted whatever sliver of safety he'd been granted. He crept to the awning's ledge and before he leapt to the soft spring lawn below, took one final look around.

He spotted Honey first and shrugged as if to ask 'What happened?'

Honey mimed getting stabbed several times and threw in some blood spray jazz hands to really drive home the point.

David nodded back.
He waved a hand over his face like a WWE superstar.

Honey figured he meant to ask 'What about Myers?'