Chapter 28

Honey wasn't exactly the fastest, her knees hurt after running and her lungs felt like they were on fire. Fortunately it was a rare occasion in horror that any villain ever really RAN after anyone.

The best of the best were often slow, patient hunters. Just look at the Bogeyman. Despite all the best efforts of those desperate to survive his trials, the only time they ever succeeded, not even a "they" but a "one," was because of HER.

And it wasn't like she was alone, she had the Trapper.

So she walked.

"Pallets and windows," she repeated to herself, as if the reminder were for anything other than not stepping her OWN foot into one of those nasty, rusted maws. She figured, as much as she hated to figure it, she would most likely endure at least one bite.

She cringed at the thought.

The hook in her hand was starting to feel familiar, as if it had always been hers, and maybe somehow that were true.

The Trapper probably felt the very same way about his, well, traps.

She marched her way across the property, feeing the cool metal clenched between her fingers, ears strained to the din of a midnight estate where somewhere in the distance she could hear the heavy thumps of his footsteps.

Beside that and beside the autumn leaves crunching beneath her boots, there was only the whisper of the wind and the terrible things that lurked within the shadows.

"Shh."

Honey paused.
Listened.
Squinted.
And all other manner of words that would imply she stood very still and very alert.

The world fell quiet around her, the wind held its breath, even the Entity ceased her whispering for just a moment. Her fabricated, blighted moon cast eerie shadows over the Estate, her legs drawing back for only a moment, illuminating the set for her players so Honey might better see the two figures that crouched in hiding like a pair of Looney Tunes behind a tree much too small for even one of them.

It was only a shame that Honey had particularly terrible night vision and couldn't tell the shadows of their elbows from the branches of the tree.

So she waited.
And so too did they.

Both unsure of whether or not they had actually heard anything at all. And maybe a bit too scared to confirm. Granted, there wasn't much for Honey to fear, considering her role among the veil, and even if the others were to die by her, or the Trapper, they would come back.

Regardless, getting stabbed was still awful painful and much of the reason why one might avoid the Doctor's office.

Though, in this place that meant something a whole lot more terrifying.

So, they all waited in a patient and horrifyingly tense silence, staring at their respective shadows until they become completely unrecognizable as any shape at all.

'Just like hide and seek,' Honey thought, 'except I've got a big ... scary hook.'

She looked down at the twisted chunk of metal, a glint of dangerous moonlight traced along its edge.

The whispers came back to her, gentle and encouraging.

'I am not scared. I am not scared because I am the scary one,' she nodded to herself unconvinced, repeating the words in her head like a mantra as she approached the tree.

'I'm not scared, I'm not scared.'

It was so very hard to be brave in the dark. Harder when you knew someone else was out there waiting.