Chapter 22

There was a knock at the door.
Unexpected as all knocks past 12am tend to be. The Trapper furrowed his brow, and Honey still firmly wrapped about his waist, mimicked the deep furrow with much less intensity.

"Who's that?" She asked.

"Not sure," said Evan he took a few steps towards the foyer, dragging Honey along, "Not expecting anyone."

Murderers like Evan weren't often unsettled by twilight visits from unexpected company. Honey on the other hand, was. Even with a brick wall like Evan between her and the door, she thought that maybe someone, Myers, might barge their way through and try to kill her anyway.

Despite logic arguing a man like him would never knock first.

Evan peeled Honey's hands off his hip and made his way up to the front door. Calloused fingers wrapped around the knob while Honey peered out from the corner moulding of the kitchen arch. The tumblers clunked with the roll of his wrist and as the door creaked open.

Evan sighed.

"Move aside, I'm freezing my balls off out here," said someone Honey didn't know.

"Hey, Evan," said another person Honey also didn't know.

"I'm sorry," said Susie, someone Honey did actually know, "I couldn't stop them. They heard about Honey and well..." Susie nervously played with the hem of her blood stained sweater, "here we are."

"So why don't you introduce us," said the first voice again, "Or are you keeping her all to yourself?"

The shadow on the other side of Evan clapped a hand on his shoulder and pushed by in a friendly show of balls.

He was a young kid, a bit younger than Honey with a real nasty attitude colored to his face, deepened by the dangerous shadows cast by a pulled up hood. He was tucked into a layered set of jackets, fabric beneath leather decorated in blood, belts, and studs. The gaggle that followed echoed his style, ducked in hoods like the hooligans they were, all smiles, giggles, and bad intentions.

Honey had the distinct feeling she was about to be mugged.

There were four of them total and two outliers, a woman of unremarkable appearance, the kind of unremarkable that made her easy to miss, especially with the polite quietness that followed behind a rowdy group of high-schoolers. The other was a former high-school star no doubt, classic 80's look, the kind of toned you don't see anymore since Hollywood went a bit overboard with the steroid abuse. He had dark hair, tousled at the bangs, with the eyes of a reporter, real bright and inquisitive with a hint of Great White in there.

Though he spoke to Evan, he was focused entirely on Honey, the first of all of them to notice her.

"Can't avoid us forever," he said with a chuckle, offering the Trapper a devil's grin before stepping inside with the other, clearly-not-a-hooligan, woman.

Evan closed the door behind them.

"You must be, Honey," said the reporter, "McKeever right?" And politely tucked his hands into his pockets, "I'm Jed, this is Amanda," he nodded to the woman beside him, "and that there's Frank, Julie, Joey, and Susie," he pointed to each and then returned the hand to his pocket.

Frank cocked a brow at her, eyeing her naked legs with little less subtly than an air horn in an empty stadium.

Joey didn't seem to care for introductions at all, making himself at home and pulling out two cases of beer from the fridge.

Julie offered a small smile of greeting.

Susie shyly shrugged and Amanda waved an awkward hello.