Part 50

Author's POV

"Don't you think so, Tae?"

Taehyung stops staring through the window at the snow slowly falling across the stony grey path outside, whitening and blending it with the grass. He wipes the drool off his chin with the sleeve of his pastel orange pullover, finding Namjoon staring at him, and he pulls himself higher lazily, offering the other a dreamy smile.

"I'm sorry, what?"

With an annoyed sigh, Namjoon pulls back his clipboard.

"I was talking to you, ya know."

"Sorry, I zoned out. I'm sleepy."

"Okay," the older shakes his head in disapproval but ruffles the blonde's hair anyway, sporting a soft whipped smile, "but focus for a second, will you? I need your help."

"Yeah, sure, whatever you need."

Taehyung, eyes now wide open with the desire to stay awake, stands up from the uncomfortable school chair, picking up his bag and a few notebooks on his table before leaving the classroom with an excited Namjoon behind him, the tattooed giant jumping on the spot from glee.

"You're gonna be so thrilled when you hear this!" he cheers, following the smaller to his locker.

"If you say so."

"Not just me," the older chuckles, taking a hold of the boy's narrow shoulders, turning him around so they're face to face, "Jin too. The whole student's council thinks you'd be perfect for the job."

"Would you just tell me already? I'm late for class."

"Kim Taehyung, worried about school? I'm not buying it."

Seeing the other's unamused blank stare, Namjoon chuckles airily, pushing a piece of paper into his hands.

"We're doing a charity project next Friday, a theme park called Aubade. And we have two more empty kissing booths to fill."

Taehyung raises a doubtful eyebrow, eyes skimming over the details briefly while Namjoon stands there hopeful and wide-eyed, he too probably excited to go to class.

"And you want me to do it?"

The taller scoffs: "You're one of the most popular people in our school. Everyone wants you to do it."

"I don't. I don't want myself to do it," he concludes in return, the tall lean giant rolling his eyes with fondness and patting the shorter's back.

"I'm not kissing anybody, okay? I'm sorry, please tell me if there's anything else-"

"What's this bullshit spewing out your pretty mouth, TaeTae?" a high-pitched voice interrupts him from behind, short toned arms wrapping around his waist and immediately, Taehyung feels at ease, posture relaxing.

"Jimin," Namjoon greets with a pinch to his cheeks, then looking at his watch, "Jin's probably waiting for me in class. See you guys at lunch."

They both wave at the rushing murky boy, seeing as he triples over his shoelaces occasionally, wanting to be by his lover as soon as possible.

Jimin then turns to his best friend, a playful curl on his lips.

"So I see you're on the list too."

"The list?"

"Yeah, someone pinned a list of most suitable people for kissing booths on the board in the music room."

Taehyung furrows his eyebrows, pushing a math's notebook in his bag: "And I'm on it?"

He couldn't think of a single possible reason anyone would want him helping on such a thing at the moment. Everyone knows he's taking a break from social media so assuming they just want to make fun of him by forcing such activity on him, seems reasonable.

"I am too," Jimin chirps happily, jumping on the spot, "So is Jennie, your sister Micha, Jaehee and Jungkook."

Half expecting his friend to react to the name somehow, Jimin utters it softly under his breath, taking a small chance he might not even hear it.

Even now, fast forward 4 months since they broke up, Jimin doesn't know how to mention his brother without hurting anyone. Not just him - everyone's a bit hesitant, not taking sides, comforting both of them but still convincing Jungkook to leave Taehyung some space so he can cool off, making sure they never cross paths.

Instead of freezing or crying (as he used to do the first month), Taehyung sports a lazy smirk.

"I'd like to see you try and convince Jeon to do it."

"Oh, he already agreed."

Taehyung halts, widening his eyes.

"He did?"

The soft breeze to his bangs and a light natural blush on his cheeks make him seem smaller, younger than he is, innocent and curious - like a child, oblivious to heart-breaks, hardships, and intimacy.

His self-esteem down and not a Youtube channel to run, Jimin notes Taehyung's not trying as much - no more flashy clothes, short skirts or make-up, loud talk and flirty comments, no more attempts at attracting random boy's attention just because the poor guy didn't look at his butt the second he walked by.

Jimin quite likes the change, Taehyung much more beautiful barefaced, but he doesn't like the cause of it.

"Yeah," he says, smiling, "he came by yesterday and told me he'll do it. He-"

Jimin bites his tongue before he could say anything about how every time Jungkook comes to his room, it is to ask about his beloved ex-boyfriend or to drop off flowers Jimin's supposed to deliver to him.

Taehyung gives him a puzzled side-eye but continues on walking to his next class, shielding himself from the world with books he's holding against his chest.

"I'll think about it," he says before disappearing into the classroom, leaving Jimin alone with his thoughts.