3: Nature Walk

It was dark out.

And the never ending conversation with myself just kept on going.

I stood in front of the broken wood door, trying to convince myself to turn the doorknob and actually get out there to see the world. Or more so, for the world to see me. My hands were clammy with sweat and visibly shaking, despite my firm grip on the knob. My thoughts were raving, traveling back and forth throughout my brain, but ultimately, having the same conversation for the past three hours.

"Zypher, you go outside all the time! What makes this time so different?" I kept repeating to myself every so often under my breath. Then, I'd give the same argument:

"Zypher, no!" I'd walk away from the door and seep into the couch. "It's different this time! You're different this time! A monster!"

Finally, my first half broke the never ending three hour cycle. "A half naked monster! You ain't got no clothes, man! You wanna live like this forever?"

"I guess not..."

At least it was dark enough outside for me to hide in the shadows, but to be honest, I had no idea where I planned to go. Forward, take a left, make a right, do a good 'ol 180 while I'm at it. I just wanted to find at least a little bit of civilization, in hopes of finding something to keep me busy in this lonely house.

But most importantly, I was on the lookout for something to "end my contract." What was a contract anyway? A signature? A job? A bill? Did I owe Eliza money?

I hissed immediately at the bright moonlight that greeted me when I swung the door open. Being in that dark house for nearly a full day wasn't very fun at all and though the night was shrouded in silver darkness, it was still too much of a light change.

Hesitantly — oh, so hesitantly— I stepped out.

I don't belong here.

My feet tugged me back inside, making me fumble through the doorway and land my clumsy self right on my behind.

All I saw were trees -- lots and lots of trees. It was overwhelming. Too much for me all at once. Green, brown, silver, white, gray. Too much. Too much. I sat there paralyzed and dumb, having no particular thought but fear.

But I couldn't sit there forever.

Using the doorway, I forced myself up to my feet, my knees wobbling with anxiety. Each step forward became easier and easier. Soon I found myself closing the door behind me and beginning an even pace toward nowhere in particular.

I walked around the perimeter of the house and it seemed like I was surrounded by just...trees. They were big and tall and scary. Like something out of a picture you'd see in an art history book. Maybe I'd enjoy myself a little more if they didn't serve as my prison bars. I cursed Eliza's name. It's her fault I'm stuck here in the first place. My only goal is to find some sort of human and make a connection with them. That's what human contact means, right? If I found at least one person—anywhere and I mean ANYWHERE—, that would bring a smile to my monstrous face.

I let my feet take me in any direction of the forest around me. Once I got past a few rows of greenery, there was a long, gray brick pathway leading to God knows where. Did I have anything else to do? No. Did I follow the path? Yes. Could it lead to an old woman who lives in a candy cottage? Probably. It's not like some sort of answer to my problems would come falling out of the sky anyway.

The tall ominous trees loomed over me, shading me from the moon. They never rustled or waved. Just stood. Each step on the gray, brick path was like an echo, filling the uneasy silence of the forest. The curious eyes of the animals could be seen in the shadows of the bushes. They watched me -- judged me, actually. I could feel their hot glares on my head. Despite their genuine intrigue, every time I got close enough to one, it would sprint off further into the abyss. They weren't the first. It felt like high school orientation all over again. Everyone's judging you by your looks, barely even bothering to get to know you. The greenery surrounding me wasn't as awe-inspiring as I hoped it'd be. In my mind, it seemed as gray and intimidating as my broken down house back there.

A deer stood in my path.

Its button black eyes stared daggers into my soul. I stopped, waiting for it to move, but it didn't. We both stared at the other, unblinking. Even as I sidled away from it, its wide eyes followed my every move.

Who knew deer could be so scary?

To keep myself calm, I hummed a quiet, shaky tune as I continued my lonesome long haul towards the unknown. A heavy weight in my chest began to rise as I listened to the sound of my talon-like toes against the brick. I never knew the world could be this quiet. And even when I do find civilization, what then? There's a rare chance that any human would want to talk to me.

I haven't been human for very long either. After the resurrection, I haven't really considered myself one ever since. Human lives were expendable. There's no way of changing my form now, though. It's the end of the road for my "magical development." Once a ritual's done, it can't be reversed. I'm not trying to be pessimistic or anything, but y'know, it just be like that sometimes.

Piffany!

My contract! It could mean that if a human learns to actually love me for who I really am, I'd be able to be human again too! As cheesy as that sounds, it just makes sense, right?

I smiled at the idea and added a happy little bounce in my step as I walked. True love's kiss (or hug or handshake or whatever), here I come! Take that, Eliza! Guess who just outsmarted you? That's right. Me. Zypher. Didn't see that coming, did 'ya?

The path was coming to an end and an overwhelming stench of gasoline was becoming more and more prominent. A factory, maybe? Factory equals factory workers and factory workers equal humans. Humans equal contact. Human contact equals ending my contract! Maybe I don't have to stay in this body for more than a day after all!

I sprinted down the path, the sound of the wind and trees rustling in my ears.

A horn -- a car horn.

I jumped, skidding to a clumsy stop.

What was that?

I climbed up into a nearby tree, accidentally evicting all of the animals living in it. As I popped my head out of the frail leaves, I gasped in awe at the sight.

It was a city.

~~~

A/N: Do y'all talk to yourselves when you gotta figure something out? 'Cause sometimes I find myself mumbling or making the most pained face on the planet lol. One vote = one good luck charm for Zypher 'cause boy, will he need it