Chapter Ten (Grand Finale)

'There’s a light at the end of the tunnel’ even though it got to a point in my life that I searched desperately looking for that light but it is nowhere in sight. Indeed, life takes us through dark tunnels and sometimes we aren’t sure if we’ll even see the light. Despite all the challenges, against all odds, always find a Reason To Live.

Everything worked so well for me eventually. I am definitely one of the best lawyers in Nigeria and my wife, Ayokanmi is a scientist and a world class businesswoman who deals in clothings and jewelries. After all these, it is  expected that I should be the happiest and most fulfilled lawyer in the country now that everything had fallen in place.

I glanced at my Apple Watch that evening then sadness came upon me as I realized that I’ll be going to Agodi prison in few days time. Not as an inmate, but as a visitor. September 3rd was the birthday of my friend, Samuel, whom we spent the youthful days together hustling.
It was also the next visiting days for the inmates of the Agodi prison.

For the past four years I had spent working as a lawyer, I never missed the opportunity of going there to see Samuel particularly on his birthday yet every visit was what seemed to be a bittersweet experience for me.

Samuel was always eager to find out how things were going for me. While I was always happy telling him about the great things that happened to me and every of my new achievements. I always feel bad as well that Samuel is missing out of the actions and fun.

This is not the way we had both dreamt things would be. Samuel has always to become the best surgeon in the country while I had always dreamt of becoming a renowned lawyer.

With each passing year Samuel and I spent together, we had always hoped to get married on the same day, same time and same venue and also live as door to door neighbors.

It was after some years of being together that things started to change between us. It was precisely when Samuel started having new sets of friends who had no definite jobs they do yet they’re always putting on expensive clothes and use the latest gadgets. I warned him about it but he didn’t listen. It was few years after I got to know that Samuel and his cohorts were arrested and sentenced to 25 years imprisonments with hard labour.

I had promised Samuel to always be there for him. It was the promise I made to him the first time I visited him in prison and that is the same promise I kept once again that year.

THE END