Chapter Five

*Brodie POV*

"You are on our territory"  I heard Tyler growl, about 20ft away from me and I rushed forward to stand by his side. 

"You are a rogue who has trespassed, and for that, you must be put to death" As the Alpha, it was my duty to determine whether somebody would be put to death for trespassing but I knew that he was just trying to be intimidating to protect me and I smiled lightly.

I stood on his right, and looked out to the figure in the woods. It was small, and shrouded in what looked like a backpack and a blanket. The figure was holding onto something in her right hand, and when Brodie squinted he realised it was a small child.

"Uh, Tyler...there is a child" I whispered to him, hoping he would hear me. The figure looked up at where our words were coming from and threw the child behind them, before snarling in our direction.

"Toby, stay back" she growled, looking through the trees and staring directly at us. 

And all I could notice were her eyes. The way the moonlight caught them, the green haze darker than the forest floor, with a dim spark and fear caught in her expression. 

"Mate" I whispered.

I had always heard stories about wolves finding their mates, and I had watched as half of our pack found their mates, but I never truly believed that there was someone was out there for me. The fact that most wolves find their mates by their 18th birthday, and I was almost 21 definitely added to my skepticism. But I knew the second I laid eyes on her that she was made just for me and I would do anything in my power to protect her no matter the cost. 

She was my destined mate, and in turn the future Luna to our pack. 

"Excuse me?" Tyler growled "Are you saying what I think you are saying?" He pulled me aside, nudging his head in the direction of the girl, who hadn't moved from her protective stance over the child. "Are you trying to tell me, that your mate, and the reason we are out here, is a rogue bitch with a baby?" he snarled, bearing his teeth at me. 

It was true, we were out here looking for something. We had been tipped off that a rogue female lived about 8 hours South of us, and I wanted to make sure she wasn't a threat to our pack, and also determine whether she was safe or if she needed help. Whilst I never had expected to meet my mate, I tensed as those words came out of his mouth, ready to destroy him for talking about her in that way. The mating bond was stronger than I had ever thought imaginable. I didn't know that girls name, or anything about her and I wanted to protect her with everything I had, even if that meant taking down one of my own pack members.

"You shut your mouth. How dare you talk to your Alpha that way" I could feel the anger rising and if it weren't for my mate standing only a few metres infront of me, I would have fought him then and there to re-establish that I was the dominant wolf and he came below me. "Now as your Alpha, I command you to pull your head in before I do it for you" I snarled, before turning back to the girl in the clearing.

"Hello, what is your name?" I asked, stepping out from behind the trees. Her eyes found mine and my heart leapt from my chest.

"What is this feeling?" she spoke quietly "I feel...what is this?"

She felt it too then. "You are my mate, i think" I started with a smile "do you know what that is?" I asked, the realization of her rogue status finally hitting. 

"My name is Brodie, and I am the Alpha of the Silver Storm pack" I introduced myself, holding a hand out to her.

"My name is Beth, and this is my brother Toby. We have been looking for you, but I couldn't tell you why, only that my parents sent us this way" she smiled, reaching her hand out to mine. "I heard stories of mates as a child but I didn't realize it would ever be more than rumors people spread..." her words cut off as she jumped back with a gasp. 

The second our fingers interlocked, it was like the heat had turned up. We were in this clearing with 3 men from my pack and Beth's brother and yet all I could see, all I could hear, all I could feel was her. As I let go of her hand, the realization on her face showed that she had felt it too, the electricity between the touch almost visible as it rippled through the clearing. 

"Brodie - what was that? Are you okay? Come back to the house immediately" I could hear the pack talking through our pack bond. I smiled softly at their concern before I heard one important voice yelling in excitement "Is that your mate?! DID YOU FINALLY MEET HER BRODIE OH MY GOODNESS!" Even through the pack bond, I could feel her excitement and knew getting back to the house would be interesting, especially when everyone knew the full story. Not that he really knew the full story yet. 

"So why were you trying to find us?" Brodie asked her, taking a hold of her luggage, that she seemed to be struggling to carry. She looked delicate, her small frame shrouded by the blanket she was draped over her shoulders. She held onto her brothers hand, and moved him to be on the other side, maybe for protection, maybe because he didn't need to hear her explanation, he wasn't sure, but he watched with fascination.

"Um, before you talk to that thing  and bring them back to our home, should you ensure your pack is safe from whatever these rogues could bring?" Tyler interrupted, grabbing my wrist and snarling in Beth and Toby's direction. 

Being that I had become Alpha of our pack before the age of 21, Tyler was appointed to oversee my rulings, and was meant to help me with the pack until I came of age, after our previous Alpha (my father) was killed in a hunting accident 9 years earlier. Whilst I understood his concerns for bringing a stranger to our pack, I was also aware that this wolf was my mate, and abandoning her in the forest with a child was the last thought on my mind. 

"They will come back with us and spend the night in the infirmary under guard. It is getting late, and the child looks tired. As an Alpha I cannot leave a female wolf alone in these forests, and as a human being I cannot leave a child out here. Tomorrow morning we will run some tests, work out their bloodlines, and assess the girl for any skills that she may be able to bring to the pack" I spoke formally, trying to detach myself from the reality that this girl was my mate and I wouldn't be abandoning her, no matter what the pack said.