8 - Killing Time

"You missed the turn," James bugged, a hint of joking in his words. "It's 3rd Ave." I rolled my eyes, looking for a parking lot or side street to turn onto.
        "Oh, hush." I laughed. "As if you haven't missed a turn in your life." He only chuckled, smiling. As we found a back road, we pulled into the hotel parking lot, finding an empty space and turning off the engine. "So how're we going to kill time here, again?" I questioned him, meeting that beautiful, white smile at the other end of the car. 
        "We could watch TV, play video games, something." He was walking coolly now, a little faster than myself. "The boys won't need me at the convention until 4 or 5." I nodded, following him inside the building. He held both doors open for me before I could get the chance to hold one for him. 
        "Thank you," I sweetly smiled, my mind cluttered with nervousness. 'What if I do something stupid?' and 'What if I'm bad at the games he has?' and lastly, 'They're not console games, in a hotel, right?' He seemed to catch my worried glance.
        "Everything alright?" He asked me, as we approached the elevator, quickly sliding in. We were alone; the elevator was like a little privacy stop from everything that went on today. 
        "Yeah, I'm just thinking about what your buddies'll think." I switched my glance to his hand, which was pressing his floor's button. The elevator doors shut and it began moving to it's directed floor. 
        "About what they'll think?" He stopped for a moment, thinking to himself, I suppose. "About 'us'?" I looked to him, a small smile of guilt appeared on my face.
        "It's just a thought, and no, not just about 'us'. About this, me taking you away from the convention that I'm sure you guys have been planing on coming to for ages." The elevator stopped, people being revealed as the doors opened on his floor. As we got out, they got in. James only chuckled, leaving me confused. "What?"
        Yet another amazing smile widened on his face. "If they had a problem with it, they would have messaged me by now, or called." He shook his head, still smiling. "They kind of expected this to happen," He began, admittedly. "I warned them that it might." Now he was the one embarrassed- which, of course, made me blush, too. 
        I smiled, looking down at my shoes to try and hide my face from him. I guess he noticed, chuckling. We then walked up to the door to his hotel room. As we stepped in, there was a large window out looking parts of Los Angeles, as well as a large flat screen TV in the middle of two beds. "Fancy." I announced, walking further into the room, toward the window. 
        "Yeah, I have to admit this is one of the coolest hotel rooms I've stayed in- and I've stayed in a lot." I chuckled, continuing to stare out to the passing cars on the streets below.
        I giggled, a random, nerdy thought crossing my mind. James only looked to me, interested. "I was just thinking that this would make a perfect sniping perch, for GTA or something."
        "Funny you mention that," He turned around, revealing an Xbox-360 sitting lonesome on the raven black shelf under the TV. "I actually have 5 in now, care to play?" I shook my head, walking closer to the device, smirking.
        "You guys carry around an X-Box 360 in your luggage? Is that even legal?" I joked, looking to him, already turning on the gaming console. 
        "Me and Aleks put it in Jordan's bag as a prank, and he didn't find it until we were in the luggage check out." He laughed. I wasn't able to hold a smile and started cracking up too. 
        As the game booted up, we got comfortable on the bed, laying side by side. He asked if I wanted to play first, which I hesitantly refused. I didn't want to look like a fool or anything, might as well let the expert go first. 
        I instantly took back those thoughts, seeing James being taken out by a fast moving bus. "Damn it!" He yelled, respawning in the same area he did before. "Well, I died. Your turn." I rolled my eyes, as if he died on purpose just to get me to play.
        "I'll try not to die in my first few second of life," I chuckled, him too. "Excuse me sir, but your vehicle is now mine." I pointed a gun to the window of the car, a weird looking old man freaking out. He exited the car, yelling something before running away.
        "Brutal." James commented before watching me drive away.

--

        What seemed like only an hour had passed, but it was really 3 hours. James was still playing, silently. The only sound that could be heard was the analog sticks of the controller, clacking to the black case. I was gingerly falling asleep, but I didn't catch myself. I don't know what happened after that, but I woke up late in the evening, alone in James' hotel room. My phone was flashing and vibrating in the purse on the floor. 
        I got up, walking over to it, wondering what was going on- and where James went. As I opened my texts, I noticed I had 3 from James, and 1 from Marvin. 

         James: Hey, sorry I left- I wasn't looking at the time. I had to go to the panel and Dan had to come pick me up.
        James: I didn't want to wake you either, so I just left you there- hope you don't mind. 
        James: I'm coming back soon, sorry for blowing up your phone. Lol.

        Then I checked Marvin's message, leaving guilt to twist in my stomach.

        Marvin: Thanks for leaving me in your spot. I couldn't even go visit other panels. I thought you were supposed to come back??

        I answered both of them back, sympathetic. 

         To James: It's fine. That was sweet of you, and I'm sorry for almost making you miss your panel. Did you want me to wait for you to get back?

        To Marvin: Marvin, I am so sorry. I fell asleep and I owe you, alright? I'll be there tomorrow the entire day, okay? You can go have your fun. Again, I'm sorry.