Two Heroes, Three Servants: Chapter 4

College sucks. Anyways, I might have mentioned it before, but I'm thinking about maybe doing a Demon Slayer crossover soon. Also two chapters today because I can.————————

Midoriya and Iida made quick work of the door that blocked their path to the hall after the students had all reached the catwalk safely. Chiron dropped from Hippogriff's back as Astolfo circled above them, glancing around from the beast's back.

"This way's blocked too," Iida reported and Chiron grimaced. Should he and Astolfo just continue on alone? It would be safer and they'd go undetected that way, but he didn't want to leave the students alone...

"Great, what do we do now?" Mineta huffed and Chiron gazed around. His eyes landed on a hatch just as Midroiya's did.

"Melissa," the boy asked, "Where does that hatch lead?" The girl blinked, walking over and glancing up to where he was pointing.

"I think that leads under the maintenance room for the sunlight system here..."

Iida perked up at that. "There's probably an emergency ladder in the maintenance room right?" he asked and Chiron glanced to Astolfo, who nodded a bit.

"Yeah, there is," Melissa confirmed, shifting a bit. "But it's manual release, so someone will have to be inside in order to let it down for us."

The hopeful mood from the students immediately plummeted.

"Is this as far as we go?" Uraraka asked.

"No," Chiron said and the others looked towards him. "We just have to get in there right? Astolfo can get that done." The students stared at him as Astolfo adjusted Hippogriff's reins in his hands.

"I mean, she could climb through the vent to the maintenance room, but that'd be too much of a squeeze, right?" Melissa asked and he shook his head.

"I don't mean that," he told them, "Melissa, in due time things will be explained, but I need you to promise that when Astolfo, Gray, and I speak of our...Quirks, you leave the questions to a minimal, alright?"

Melissa gazed at him, his eyes serious and seeming to have an ethereal glow as he spoke. She nodded slowly, swallowing and the brown-haired man nodded after her. Chiron turned, gazing up at the vent.

"There's something that us Servants can do— entering a Spirit form. We're fully non-corporeal and unseeable. We can slip in and out of matter. Astolfo and Hippogriff can get up there and release the ladder that way." It only took a moment of hesitation before the students agreed and Astolfo took off, he and Hippogriff vanishing in a shower of golden flecks.

"I have a question, though, Chiron-sensei," Yaoyorozu asked as they waited.

He blinked, nodding to her. "Yes, Yaoyorozu?"

"W-Well, when the wall was blocked off at first, why didn't you just phase through?"

He smiled, patting her head. "That's a good question," he said, "The thing is, we can't touch things in spirit form. It's true that we can control our direction and if we want to be seen or not, but no matter what, we can't touch solid matter. A servant from France would cloak himself in a shadowy aura and slip through walls sometimes, but you could always see him because that's how he wanted it to be. Though considering the oddity of the Count, he tended to be able to do things many others couldn't." he told her with a hum. "In short, yes, I could have, but the result would have been the same. We would have been located as the door opened and if there were any cameras past that door, I would have been seen."

Yaoyorozu seemed to accept his answer, nodding as the others listened.

"Oh, I get it," Midoriya said as the ladder was released and lowered down to them. "So instead of blindly rushing in, you were going to see what else you could come up with."