Chapter One - Good Guys Die and Bad Guys Win

Chronophobia.

The fear of time.

It's a stupid fear, I know. But let me explain.

When I was a child, it seemed as if I had all the time in the world to grow up. As if everything would had gone as I planned. But things didn't exactly work out.

They never do.

Because I was young and immature, I didn't realize how quickly things could be taken away from you. Hence the phobia developed.

I was 16 when it all started. The fires, the bombs, the pills. Before the war started, I had a happy life. I had a brother, who was four years older than me, and a younger sister who was only a toddler when the Helium Wars began.

The Helium Wars came after World War Three. That basically consisted of everyone shooting bombs and nukes at each other. It was a shit show, to say the least. Most of the citizens in my city were placed in underground bunkers. After the chaos ended, Better Living Industries came into the picture.

During the bombings, the people hidden in the bunkers began to worry. Fear and anxiety had taken over their bodies. When it all ended and we were let out from the bunkers, most were angry and started riots. It was a mess.

Better Living Industries decided to come up with a solution to our problems, a pill. A pill to make our problems disappear. Not only that, but turn you into an actual zombie.

After taking the pill, you had no emotions. No identity.

It was terrible.

A bald man and a raven haired woman were in charge of the entire corporation. They quickly built an empire and gained all of our trust. They rebuilt our homes, helped us with our radiation injuries from during the wars, and reconnected us with our lost family members.

They were gods in our eyes. They could do no wrong.

But then they officially released the pill and required us to take it. If not, we would suffer terrible consequences.

Aka, death.

My family thought that BL/Ind.'s policies were bullshit. So they denied the pills.

Of course, to keep their 'good' reputation, they told my parents it was fine. That they didn't have to take them.

That was a lie.

I ended up losing both of them. The bald man I had mentioned previously, known as Korse, sent out people in vampire masks called Dracs to burn down the houses of people who refused to cooperate with their new ways. Ryan, my brother, and I grabbed Adeline, my sister, and ran away from the city.

We hid out in an old motel. Nobody dared to go near it, mainly because of how disgusting it was.

Because of our poor living conditions, Adeline got sick. We didn't have any choice but to drop her off in front of an orphanage in the city. We cried, but got over it quickly by realizing it was the best thing to do. We couldn't care for an ill toddler. That's ridiculous.

Ryan and I left Battery City, as it was now called, and set out to the Zones to rebel against Better Living Industries.

The Zones consisted of six sections. One being closest to Battery City, and six being farthest. At the time, few people knew about anything existing behind the walls of Battery City. We had no idea there was a world beyond the walls either until we heard two teenagers talking about escaping.

Tons of people tried to, apparently. Ryan and I waited until a good time to make our move. You had to be extremely careful to get out of Battery City.