34.

Brett

"Are you sure you can wait here until I come back after work?" Brett asked as he parked his car in front of the police station.

"Better than waiting for you in the house. Way too boring," Eddy replied.

"And you are not going to-"

"Run away, no. I promise."

Brett blushed as he turned off the ignition. The morning was a blissful sense of peace after the storm. The kiss, the embrace, going to the bed, uncuffing Eddy and -

"What are you thinking?" Eddy grinned mischievously when he caught Brett's red cheek.

"Nothing."

"Don't get too distracted at work, officer Yang."

"Well yeah, I will need to talk to Juan about ... what you saw yesterday," Brett sighed, thinking about how Eddy has told Brett that he saw Hilary's dead body yesterday. Too bad Eddy couldn't remember the location of the body though.

"I'm most worried about Ray," Eddy murmured.

"Why?"

"I saw him yesterday going into the same hotel as Hilary. Maybe he will become the next target."

"Ray Chen? The one we saw at the hospital?"

"Yeah."

"I'll let the team know that as well. Get some security around him," Brett briefly kissed Eddy before he stepped out of the car.

The walk to the office was a long one, fully aware that no one, especially Juan, is going to believe him after the ghost incident. It was a miracle he wasn't kicked out of the job and was referred to the psychiatry by this point.

Still, Brett needed to do what he was supposed to do.

"We need to find the location of Hilary Hahn," Brett immediately ran up to Juan when he showed up for work, despite knowing that he would think Brett as a lunatic.

"What do you mean?" Juan said, scrunching up his eyebrows.

"I...got an anonymous report yesterday that Hilary Hahn is in danger. This might be a serial killer who is targeting musicians in particular. We need to search for her, now."

"Anonymous report?" Juan scoffed. "Are you meaning one of your ghosts?"

Brett didn't reply to the sarcastic remark. He only glared back at Juan, balling up his fist.

"I'm being serious, officer Juan."

"And me too, Brett. Stay off this case, you are out."

Juan was just about to go back into his office when one of the scrawny police members ran into the station.

"Officer Juan!"

Brett and Juan both turned their head to hear the news. The voice of the kid spoke urgency.

"What?"

"The team just found the dead body of Hilary Hahn. She was assaulted yesterday night. Same style as the serial killer we've been looking for."

Juan and Brett's eyes met in an instant.

"How did you know?" Juan asked in a strained voice.

"Anonymous report," Brett replied shortly.

"Have your anonymous report also saw the face of a man who killed her?"

"So are you going to believe me now?" Brett asked, his gaze piercing Juan.