36.

The last few days have been exhausting for Brett to say the least, both mentally and physically.

Ray Chen has been arrested. Although the criminal denied his actions for the first two days, he finally gave in when the evidence became too clear for everyone. For Brett, it was paperwork, paperwork, and more paperwork. He didn't tell the specifics to Eddy since Brett figured it would freak him out more. After all, Ray was Eddy's longtime friend and a friendly competitor. Who could have guessed those good minded competitions can turn into something so bloody?

Most of the cases have been sorted out though.

Most. Not all.

"Hey," Brett carefully opened the bedroom door after returning from work.

"Overnight work again?" Eddy asked, immediately standing up from the bed.

"Yeah. We're almost done with the documents though," Brett sighed, pulling off his jacket.

"I cleaned up the room, if you don't mind. Thought you were too busy to do it yourself," Eddy shrugged, pointing to the neatly organized clothes and books at the corner of the room.

Brett looked around, now noticing how clean the house became since he last came in. He didn't want to admit it but yes, Brett wasn't sure if he can really live by himself anymore. Having someone that he can return home to from work, although a ghost, has become a concrete part of his daily life. Still, Brett knew he would have to let Eddy go, at some point.

"I have something to tell you," Brett sat down on the corner of the bed, gesturing Eddy to sit next to him.

Brett could see Eddy biting his lips nervously as the news sank in. The elephant in the room was suffocating them both, something that they both weren't sure if they were ready for.

"I interrogated Ray today. I know where your body is," Brett spoke in a calm voice, clasping Eddy's hands in his.

"So that means-"

"Yeah," Brett smiled. "You can cross that door now, to proper afterlife."

Brett could feel a soft tremor next to him.

"Brett... I don't think I-"

"I'm not sure either but you can't stay here forever."

"I'm worried about you."

"Well, I'm worried about you too."

"We can wait."

"I don't want to risk anything. What if your body decays faster and... I don't even want to think about it," Brett shook his head firmly. "Eddy, I will be alright. You will be alright too."

"You are lying."

"Yeah, I'm lying. I won't be fine," Brett chuckled, embracing Eddy in his arms. "But I can't let you stay as a ghost longer than this, you understand that, right?"

Eddy shook his head, burrowing his face into Brett's shoulder.

"I don't want to go."

"Of course you want to go. You will be running to heaven in no time."

"I really am not."

"Eddy, look at me," Brett took Eddy's face in his palms, making Eddy look straight into his eyes. "We would have become strangers if you hadn't come to me in this form. And I'm ever grateful that we got to know more about each other when we had the chance. I can't wish for more."

Brett matched his warm lips with Eddy's cold parted ones.

"I'm going to miss you, love."