Undercover

"You in position?" Sabrina asked as she entered the giant doors to the grand estate. The Montenegro mansion was massive, having it look like a castle in the middle of wilderness. Expensive cars were parked out front. People dressed in radiant gowns and fitted suites chatted excitedly.

Sabrina was decked out in her own glamour. She strutted in a tight black dress that pleased her figure nicely. She tried to avoid eye contact as possible. She didn't need anyone knowing her face. A barely visible earpiece was hidden underneath her dark hair which was done neatly on her shoulders.

"Almost. A few guys got in my way," her partner, Carter, responded. He was on the other side of the gala, trying to get into place. He was instructed to speak with Clara Olsen, the one and only daughter of Fredrick Olsen. A man who has power due to ins with mobs and the cartel. This was his party. So this mission was risky. Because anyone who talks to Fredrick's daughter will be monitored. But they needed the information she held. This was their only chance.

"We don't have long. Remember that," Sabrina grabbed a glass of wine from a waitress. She took a sip as she walked on the platform above the main gathering. She scanned the scene and locked eyes with Carter.

"Damn, you look hot in that dress," Carter smirked as he eyed her.

Sabrina rolled her eyes. "And you look like a dork in that suit. Now, pay attention. I won't be able to watch you the whole time. I've got snooping to do," she said as she made her way down the steps.

"Hey, you know I'm a big boy and can take care of myself."

"Sure you can. Like back in Hillwood."

"Oh shit. I see her. Carter out."

Clara Olsen was chatting sweetly to an older couple who obviously had money by their outfits. Carter sipped on a glass of champagne as he eyed the young woman. Her blonde hair was tied up in a low bun and she wore an elegant red dress that brightened her features. He thought she was pretty. Maybe in another universe where he weren't a secret agent and she weren't the daughter of a mob boss he'd actually think about flirting with her.

As Clara turned she made eye contact with Carter. She seemed a bit taken aback by his stare, but quickly recovered and flashed him a smile. She said a quick goodbye to the couple she had been in conversation with and made her way over to him. He felt a little anxiety come up his throat. He needed to remain calm. He was good at that.

"Now, where did you come from?" Carla asked with a smile as she sipped on the glass of her wine. She raised her brows a bit and parted her lips. Carter finished off his drink in a gulp and placed it on a passing waitress's plate.

"I could ask the same for you," he smirked at her that winning grin that always seemed to woo women.

Carla let out a chuckle. "Nice try. As if you don't already know who I am."

"Everyone knows who you are."

"Exactly."

They held eye contact for a moment before Carla took a sip of her wine. "No, actually. I haven't seen you before. Who are you?"

"I'm Joseph. Joseph Mathews. The son of Edward Mathews. He's kept out of touch but still gets invitations. This year, he sent me to the party to let him know what's been going on," Carter explained with ease. He was feeding her one big fat lie. And she seemed to be taking the bait.

"Oh, okay," she raised her brows and then smiled a devilious grin. "Well, Joseph Mathews, what makes you think you're better than all of the other men here who have tried to catch my eye?"

Carter bit his lip. "I don't. But, if you insist..."

Clara let out a laugh, her red painted lips parting to show her white teeth. "You are funny, Joseph. It was very nice to meet you."

She turned. Panic flashed through Carter's veins. He couldn't lose her. He hadn't gotten the information she held.

"Wait, Clara," he stepped toward her. She faced him once again, curious to hear what else he had to say. "My dad wanted me to ask, but since I haven't seen your father yet, I figure I just ask you. Do you, um, know anything about Francisca Martinez?"

Clara froze. All the blood seemed to drain for her face. "What?" she asked, her mouth ajar.

"Francisca-"

"I know. I know who she is. She's my father's fiance. What do you want with her?" Carter, too, froze. Fiance? This changed everything they knew about the mission. "Who are you?"

"Clara!" a man who looked to be a body guard called her name. Clara stared strangely at Carter as she walked away from him. He cursed to himself as she was guided away. A waitress came by and offered him a glass of champagne. He took it, gladly downing half the glass.

He screwed up. Big time. The mission was a mess now.

"Sabrina. Francisca is his fiance," Carter said, turned and his head down so people couldn't tell he was speaking.

"What? His fiance?" Sabrina replied from an office up in the outer halls of the mansion. She was busy pulling out files and rummaging through cabinets. She hasn't found much. And she wasn't that surprised. Of course the mob boss, Olsen, wouldn't have incriminating files out in the open. They would be stored away in an extremely hidden nook or cranny. Sabrina just needed to find that nook or cranny.

"Yeah."

"Okay, well, we should just get out of here. We can come up with a new plan to figure out who killed her. And why they are pretending she's still alive."

"Alright. Mission off. Carter out," he finished off his drink in a gulp.

Sabrina sighed, frustrated and annoyed. They had risked so much and had gotten only more questions. She didn't even know if they'd have another time to speak with Clara directly. She opened the door to the office and peered out into the hall. No one. She quickly made it out and down another hallway. She was somewhat surprised to find no guards. But maybe they don't expect people to come snooping around since almost all of them are rich and wealthy.

Sabrina made it to the main area. Elegant music blared as couples and friends swayed to it in the middle of the dance floor. She scanned the room for a tall, lean, dark haired dummy. She raised her brows as she found Carter standing by the food table. But something was off. He seemed to be in a daze. He stumbled a bit and rubbed his eyes.

Oh, no.

Everything was blurry. His eyes couldn't focus. His head felt suddenly so light. Every motion felt heavy like there were weights taped to his limbs. He couldn't stand any longer.

Sabrina tried to get to him. But too many people were in her way. And she couldn't run in heels.

Before Carter could fall, he was picked up by two large men in dark suits.

Ohshitohshitohshitohshit

Sabrina stopped in her tracks as he was carried away. Carter knew what was happening to him but there was nothing he could do to resist. He focused the very little energy he had on keeping himself conscious, but even that was failing him.

Sabrina could only stare in helplessness as he was led into trouble. Nothing could help him now. They would have to wait.