Monster Hunting

I thought the party would be fun. I really didn't think I would be attacked by a demon.

It was almost eleven when we arrived at the house party. It was already raging. A kid was throwing up in the yard. Two girl were laughing hysterically on the roof. Your typical high school party.

"Want me to grab you drink, Lucas?" Noah asked as we entered the house. His lips were pressed into a goofy grin and he wore a button up shirt. He and I have been best friends for years. Ever since middle school. We have each other's backs. No matter what.

I nodded and headed into the living room. A group of kids were doing Jell-O shots and a few others were dancing. Just about everyone had red SOLO cups in their hands. Music blaring, I propped myself up on a door frame.

Noah came back with a cup of a spiked punch. "Wanna go find some girls and get lucky?" He smirked at me.

I let out a chuckle and took a sip of the drink. "I'm fine, man. I'm not really in the mood."

"You're never in the mood."

"Hey, at least I came to the party."

"Whatever. I'm gonna go talk it up." Noah smiled and strutted over to a group of girls standing around the kitchen bar. I laughed silently.

I watched the party for a long while before I made my way to the porch. At one point everyone came together and started jumping around in the center of the room. Noah was a part of the group and eventually started making out with a blonde girl.

The night was cool and quiet. The only other people outside were a few couples cuddling. I finished off my drink and set it on the railing. I heard footsteps approach beside me.

"You can actually see the stars," a girl spoke, leaning over the balcony. She was brunette and almost as tall as me. She wore a small spaghetti string tank top and tight jeans. It took me a moment to realize it was none other than senior Carly Harris.

I looked at her, not sure how to respond. "Do you know any constellations?" she asked, finally meeting my eyes.

I shook my head. "No."

Carly straightened her back and leaned uncomfortably close. I could practically feel her eyes trailing up and down my body. I swallowed. My palms started to become sweaty and my heart quickened.

"Why don't you ask me to dance, Lucas?" Her hand crept up my chest and along my collarbone.

I blinked and regained my senses. "How do you my name?"

"Let's just say I pay attention." Carly smiled and grabbed my hand. She led me back into the house and living room. A slow song was playing. She wrapped her arms over my shoulders.

I wasn't sure what came over me. I couldn't help myself be entranced by her. She really was beautiful. I could feel her breath on my neck and the way her body swayed to the song.

I don't know how long we were like that, but suddenly Carly pulled away. She looked at me through her lashes and grabbed my hand.

"How about I give you a ride home," she said as more of a statement than question.

I blinked, feeling back into reality. "Uh, it's fine. I came here with my friend. I should-"

She squeezed my hand and brought her lips close to mine. "I insist, Lucas."

The drive was full of stealing glances and low music. I had told Noah about Carly. At the time he was pretty consumed with a girl's lips, so I'm not actually sure if he heard me correctly.