36 - messages + lydia's house

warnings:
-physical and emotional abuse
-drug usage
-mentions of an eating disorder

this is over 2k words which just might be the longest chapter i've ever written for any book, so grab yourself a snack and get ready for some reading lol

normani 💗

lyds i want you to know how proud i am of you and how much i love you and the last thing i want to do right now is ruin the excitement of your album release night.

but low point dropped a new song just now. the timing was definitely on purpose.

it's called lydia.

lydia's phone sat on her kitchen island, unlocked with the spotify app open. she stared at the screen, no emotion displayed on her face. the single artwork was a simple black and white photo of two hands holding each other on top of white sheets. they weren't just any hands though. they were her and jake's hands. she vividly recalled the night jake took that picture. they were only a month into their relationship, but they decided to post the photo to his instagram as a way of telling their fans.

everything was perfect then.

a little too perfect.

she should've known better.

she leaned forward, tapping her acrylic nails rapidly on the marble counter top. the play button was staring back at her. taunting her.

"you don't have to do it," a voice spoke barely above a whisper as she felt someone's presence beside her.

"i know but," her voice cracked slightly, "i feel like i need too."

pedro reached up and pushed her hair behind her ear, causing her to look up at his solum face. his eyes are so pretty, lydia thought, but quickly shook it away.

"no, you don't," he insisted, "lydia, as your friend..." friend. the word burned him as it fell from his mouth, "...i can't just sit here and let you do this. jake hurt you. badly. you shouldn't have to worry about him anymore. you don't owe him anything."

lydia casted her eyes to the ground, shaking her head, "i want to hear it. i want to know what he has to say about me. about us," and before he could stop her, she pressed play.

"black ocean
cold and dark..."

the sound of jake's voice immediately hit her, almost physically moving her as if she was literally struck by it. she loved his voice so much. it was the first thing that drew her to him.