Chapter 8

Blue was easy on the lead, which I was surprised about because I thought he would've been difficult since this was a new place for him. His velvety ears were pricked forward while he walked, and his nose flared while he picked up all the scents around him.

"He sure is a beaut," Alec said when I brought him into the stall that was prepared for him. He leaned against the wall that blocked Blue from the outside world and watched while I tied him to his stall to get his wraps off of his legs and tail.

"He is," I said while I took off his stuff and handed it to Alec. "He would've made some good looking babies, especially since how rare his coat is."

Alec nodded. "Aye," he replied. "He would have. I heard that he was fast, too. He would've produced some fast offspring with his genes."

I nodded. "I wonder if he is one person's horse, though," I said. I took the lead rope from his halter, and Blue twisted away from me and went to explore his new stall and surroundings.

"I hope not," Fernando said. He opened the stall for me, and I walked out of the stall before closing the stall door. "Your padre (father) wants me to run him in some races." He shook his head and grimaced. "I don't think he would care if he is comfortable with one person or not."

I pursed my lips and nodded. "I don't think he will either," I agree. I moved a hand through my hair and sighed before I turned to look at Blue and saw that he was eating some of the hay we placed in. "What can you tell me about the Contres?" I asked, looking at the two of them. "Or do you know anything about them?"

"My friend, Red, works over there," Alec said. "He has been there for years." He cleared his throat and shifted on his feet before he nodded towards Blue. "Was a birthday present to his little girl."

I nodded. "Do you have his number?" I asked, looking at Alec with a raised eyebrow. I bit back a sigh when he cocked his head, wondering who I was talking about. "I'm talking about the one that works at the Contre farm. I want you or Fernando to contact him if you need pointers to get Blue to move."

Alec nodded, and realization filled his eyes. "Aye," he said. "I do." He cleared his throat and looked toward the front to see that the truck was still there before looking at me. "Think yer faither is waiting fur ye," he said and nodded his head to the truck, and I looked that way. "Ye might want to go an' see what he wants."

I huffed and nodded my head, not really wanting to go with my father but knowing that he expected me to. "I'll be back when Dr. Ren is here," I said. "Make sure that his needs are taken care of. Alec, you're in charge of him. I don't care what my father has to say."

Alec nodded again, and I felt relieved that he agreed to do what I said. "Aye, Sir," he said. "I'll keep you updated on his progress." He nodded his head to the truck. "Go ahead and go," he said. "Ryan is waiting fur ye at yer house."

I nodded again. "Ok," I said. "Do you know if he allowed him to live here?" I asked, talking about my best friend since grade school and a "self-proclaimed" bodyguard that thought himself to be important.

"Aye," Alec said. "He has his ain room. Ye'll find him in the kitchen with yer mither. She had made some food fur ye an' yer faither."

"Ok," I replied. I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet before I glanced at the truck with pursed lips. "I'll see you two later." And with that, I left, leaving the gelding to feed on some hay and Fernando and Alec to talk about the gelding, who came from a famous family known throughout the horse world.

***

"You took your sweet time," my father said when I entered the truck. He scowled and narrowed his eyes at me before he started the truck and drove both truck and trailer back to where they were meant to be. "Why?"

"I wanted to make sure that Blue was settled," I replied. I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. I felt nervous, anxious, even to tell him my plans because I knew that he would disagree. "I will be back at the barn when Dr. Ren comes over to check him out," I said.

"You will do no such thing," he said. He looked at me and scowled, and I had to hold back an eye roll because I had no idea what my father wanted me to do. "You are to get ready for school on Monday. You will be going to a public school, so I hope that you behave yourself."

I bit back a sigh and nodded. "I will," I muttered. I moved through my hair and scowled, not liking the fact that my father wasn't going to let me go to the barn. "Why can't I go down there when Dr. Ren comes?" I asked.

"I don't want you to be in the way while she does her work," he replied. He looked at me and looked forward, making it back to the spot where the trailer goes. "Unhook the trailer," he said and looked at me. "Then go straight to the house. Do you understand?"

I bit back a scowl and nodded. "Yes, Sir," I replied. I opened the truck door and got out of the truck. Again, I moved a hand through my hair before I slammed the truck door and went to get the trailer unhitched. "I still don't understand," I muttered under my breath, getting the trailer of the truck. "It's not like I can do anything to make her life miserable."

All I wanted to do was make sure that Blue was healthy after the trip he took from the Contre's farm. I had a feeling that he had been healthy beforehand because Ella seemed to know what she was doing with the horses, and I didn't see anything physically wrong with him.

Maybe I could sneak out of the house and go to the barn when she comes. I just needed the perfect opportunity and the perfect man to help me with my escape.