Written in the Stars

°°°

°°°

The shadows that followed Geralt were quickly noticed by the white wolf, since his senses were more refined and heightened than the humans. He could hear the noise of the boots sinking in the wet wooden ground of the dock, he could smell the scent of dirty bodies and cheap Nilfgaardian ale from over a mile away, he could hear their breathing, not in sync.

Geralt had no idea how, but the news of his arrival in Cintra had traveled a long way, so away that somehow reached the Emperor. Which made sense in someway, since the leader of Nilfgaard was in search of Hestia and wanted nothing more than to crush her neck with his own two hands. Maybe he thought that Geralt knew something or was on his way to somewhere important and well, he wasn't wrong at all, but that's something that would never escape Geralt's lips, not even with torture.

He counted six, just by hearing the steps. Two horses also, but further away, sounding heavy, heavy as in a war horse.

Slowly but steady,  Geralt reached for his sword in the back, which made the metal sound of all the other swords echo in the harbor.

The White Wolf quickly turned to face his enemies. Six, as he counted before, holding their weapons, staring, focused, at his hand. Geralt's sword was beautiful, it was also ancient, elf and magical, made especially for witchers, when the times were more prosper to his race, he'd gotten it from his dearest friend, also a witcher, Vesemir, since then he took care of it as it was part of his own body, like a limb. 

"Sir, we are here to talk, not hurt you, but we will if necessary" one of them said, the one that was well dressed and didn't smell like dead fish.

"Why the fuck would I trust a Nilfgaardian's word?" he held his sword tighter, maintaining his position.

"Because I don't assume you enjoy death, witcher" the man said with a sarcastic smile "the emperor wants to meet with you, it's an honor, to meet with the conqueror".

"Well tell him my schedule is pretty tight right now, you know, busy agenda, slaying some monsters, some men..." a not so well disguised threat was set, making the Nilfgaardian smile with anger.