Search for the Locket

Ron and Hermione were already halfway down the stairs by the time Harry and I were walking to the hallway towards them. Harry took a bit longer get going than I expected, so I waited with him til he was ready to go. As we walked through the hall I paused at a door with a sign that read:

Do Not Enter
Without the Express Permission of
Regulus Arcturus Black

I pointed towards the signed and hummed thoughtfully. "He must have been Sirius's brother or something."

A strange look came over Harry.

"Hermione!" he said, and his voice was so calm. "Come back up here."

"Harry?" I asked cautiously.

"What's the matter?" Hermione called.

"R.A.B. I think I've found him."
There was a gasp and then Hermione ran back up the stairs.

"Who?"

"In your mum's letter? But I didn't see –"
Harry shook his head, pointing at Regulus's sign. She read it,then clutched Harry's arm so tightly that he winced.

"Sirius's brother?"she whispered.

Through all of my confusion, I was proud of my deduction skills.

"He was a Death Eater,"said Harry, "Sirius told me about him, he joined up when he was really young and then got cold feet and tried to leave – so they killed him."

"That fits!"gasped Hermione. "If he was a Death Eater, he had access to Voldemort, and if he became disenchanted then he would have wanted to bring Voldemort down!"

She released Harry, leaned over the banister and screamed, "Ron! RON! Get up here, quick!"
Ron appeared, panting, a minute later, his wand ready in his hand.

'What's up? If it's massive spiders again, I want breakfast before I –"

He frowned at the sign on Regulus's door, to which Hermione was silently pointing.

"What? That was Sirius's brother, wasn't it? Regulus Arcturus ... Regulus ... R.A.B.! The locket – you don't reckon –?"

"Hold on!" I swatted Harry's hands away from the door. "Is anyone going to tell me what is going on?"

"Don't you know?" asked Hermione tilting her head a little bit.

"Obviously not." I shook my head.

"Sirius had a brother who went dark then changed his mind. He stole one of You-Know-Who's Horcruxs and we want to find it," Ron said, then continued eating his biscuit.

We all blinked at the quick and somehow informative description.

"Thanks," I said. "What do you think is in there?"

'Let's find out,' said Harry. He pushed the door: it was locked. Hermione pointed her wand at the handle and said, 'Alohomora.' There was a click, and the door swung open.

They moved over the threshold together, gazing around. Regulus's bedroom was slightly smaller than Sirius's, though it had the same sense of former grandeur. Whereas Sirius had sought to advertise his difference from the rest of the family, Regulus had striven to emphasise the opposite. The Slytherin colours of emerald and silver were everywhere.

"They're all about Voldemort," she said holding up some newspaper clippings. "Regulus seems to have been a fan for a few years before he joined the Death Eaters ..."

I walked over to Hermione and began helping her look through the news papers.

"He played Seeker,"said Harry abruptly.