Chapter 1

"Duty Calls"

     "Hey, it's me again..." my voice only hints mere worry into the cell phone I hold against my ear.

"It's been weeks since I've spoken to you, since you actually answered one of my calls," I pause to the sound of my own pained tone. It's too... unusual.

I suck in a calm breath as I stand before the lengthy window of my bedroom - waiting for my twin brother to pick up and say something, anything.

Still, nothing.

"This isn't like you, Callum." I say quietly, still absentmindedly staring out of the clear glass at the tall pine trees hovering the outskirts of my vast, keen yard.

Seven weeks. It's been seven weeks since I've last seen Callum. And the flashes of his bright smile just outside of the Spring Festival last month keep replaying in my mind. He was happy.

He was just fine... to my knowledge.

And then there was a voicemail he left for me just one week after that. I had never heard him so... on edge. Assuringly he updated me that he was okay - but it just didn't feel right. His tone was off, rough. And ever since, I haven't heard from him.

We've just simply always been closer than that. And I'm not the type to let worry consume me.

"Just call me. You know where to find me." I purse my lips, standing in the thin silence of my house, before ending the voicemail. In my dark blue skinny jeans and military colored silky collared blouse, I turn around to head for the door to get a snack - just seconds before then I hear the buzz of my cell.

I take up my phone to see my twin brother's number. And the mix of sudden emotions swarming my insides all at once cause for my breath to be held. I answer the call.

"Meet me in the city, downtown," he begins - tone unfamiliarly low and rather rushed, "right outside of the bakery we use to go to. I'll be there in twenty minutes."

Beep.

I quickly glance down to the phone screen in my current grasp, at an ended call. My brows are furrowed in deep confusion, I can't suppress it. All I know is that I need to drive fifteen minutes away to get to the city - fast.

--

Closing my car door behind me and locking it, I pace towards the glass front of Richmond's Deli & Bakery. Just feet from my left side portrays the outdoor tables that are vacant, for now. But I'm far past the point of anticipation and anxiousness to even sit still for this moment.

I can barely stop glimpsing around to spot Callum, and I don't think I've released the tight grip I have on my phone ever since I got out of my car.

This it it. I just need to see if he's okay. And I can only hope that he'll clarify where he's been for the past seven weeks. I'm not controlling, nor am I trying to play the role of some parent - but venturing out onto some hiatus isn't like Callum.

"Hey, Bells." The sound of my brother's gentle voice attracts my sudden attention, and I turn to see him approaching me.

My blue-green eyes instinctively scan over his slim figure in mere concern. He vestures his favorite long sleeve black shirt that displays a large print of Nirvana's logo in the center of the dark fabric. His blonde hair is ruffled, as it usually is.

I feel my features lighten immensely, and the corner of my bare lips begin to twitch, at the sight of him. But that's when he comes to a stop just a couple feet before me, and his matching irises eventually reach mine. Below his eyes portray dark bags, indicating reduction of sleep, or severe stress.