Chapter 23

"The Air is Different"

Full body tense, my breathing exceeds beneath Rio's body.

In my dark blue dress, I squeeze my eyes shut instinctively amongst the deadly gunshots being fired across the Bar and Grill.

I think Rio and I are behind a small bulwark that stands in the center of the Bar; it's surface displaying some autographed shot glasses and bottles on top of the piled red brick.

But from everywhere around us, frantic screams still permeate the warm air inside the building. They don't dissipate.

I know people were just shot - possibly killed. The thought causes my gut to ache. For my stomach to plummet.

My heart hammers against my ribcage, rapidly. Rio's broad shoulders are vaguely tense, too, beneath my perspiring palms.

With his hard body pressed firmly against my own in evident protection, Rio doesn't breathe a word, not yet.

And too suddenly, the alerting sound of shattering glass penetrates the area again.

I flutter open my blue green eyes momentarily and look up - only to see the displayed autographed glasses and bottles next to us turn to shards from a bullet.

The lethal shards of glass come falling down.

Mindlessly, my hands squeeze onto either shoulder of Rio's - clutching onto the dark fabric of his button down shirt.

"Rio," My tone hints inevitable worry beneath him.

In return, the shielding gang leader follows my wary gaze. That is, before he hurriedly attempts covering my head with his arms.

He remains tense above me.

I feel his breath on the crook of my neck.

"Don't make a sound." he orders solemnly, darkly. Though I grasp onto the hint of provoking care behind his raw tone.

Slight confusion collides with the bitter mix of shock and alert surging through my veins. But I know I have to push aside the notice for another time.

Glass mercilessly hits the floor beside our heads - and possibly Rio's back.

And one by one - I hear the shards land across from my ear. Just barely brushing against my warm skin. I try to not move a single muscle.

My pulse accelerates, quick.

I find myself clenching onto Rio's shoulders harder in instinct.

But, I notice Rio soon remove a hand from my head only to take grip of the gun in the back rim of his jeans.

And just as he quickly attempts firing back whilst still above me, my gaze drifts up to the nearly destroyed shot glass display once more.

A dark brown glass bottle filled with alcohol of some sorts, tips off the brick.

Hurriedly I try to move so it won't hit my head; considering it's the only part of me not currently shielded.