he (prologue)

As I watch him sit on my bike, pretending he was driving the parked machine, I can't help but admire him.

He's wearing my jacket, which is a bit small on him since he was a few inches taller than me, and my sunglasses. I chuckle at the toothpick between his lips as he tries to imitate me. It's not his best impression of someone, but I am still fond of it. His head is thrown back and he is belting along to the song on the radio. It is the title track from the Purple Rain album. One of his favorite songs from Prince, the love of his life honestly. I should be jealous, yet after watching the movie I can't help but grow a liking to the musician as well. Was pretty sexy.

He looks over at me, and holds out his hand. I push off the tree I was leaning on and walk over. I take his hand and grin as he pulls me closer to him. He wraps his arms around me, and rests his chin on my chest. While sitting on my bike, we awkwardly sway.

"Purple rain, purple rain," he softly sings to me.

He has a unique voice. Smooth and soothing, but also rough and piercing. If I could, I would let him narrate my life through his singing. I don't know if I can even go a day without one diddly from him.

He stares up at me, so fond and soft. His blue eyes smiling at me. I grin down at him and run my hand through his hair.

"I only wanted to see you underneath the purple rain," I sang, and cup his face.

He smiles, and fuck that was the most brightest thing ever. Impossibly brighter than all the stars and sun combined. Brighter than my future. Brighter than the billboards in the heart of our city. I can't believe I was even able to cause a smile so bright sometimes. I do not deserve his purity. I do not deserve his kindness.

I do not deserve him and yet, he gives me himself.

He gave me the best gift I could have ever asked for.

He pulls away and continues to sway his upper body to the guitar solo of the song. His face illuminated in the golden rays of the late sun, and he hums along. He is lost in his own world, and that's when I knew.

He is my person.