Episode Two, Part 4:

S e r u m

And I get that they don't get it, 
but they love you so much that you won't regret it.

Kodiak laid down on the bed, his head propped up so he was half-sitting, breathing deeply as he waited for what he knew was coming. 

Wynn, Ares and Quill were all standing around him, waiting as Aeryn and Fenn prepared what they needed to for the procedure.  

"You sure you want to do this?" Ares asked, an abundance of sympathy for his friend. 

Kodiak nodded. He was clearly nervous, but there wasn't any hesitation at all. 

"It's worth it if its the only way to find out what's going on with Elara." He answered. 

Fenn looked over at Ares and his brothers, continuing on behalf of the Sovereign. "As he still has some of the serum in his blood, it might have the same effect on him as it does with Elara, and it'll give me and Aeryn a chance to see how it works when it's active, as opposed to what's left behind." 

Ares nodded, looking back down at Kodiak as Aeryn came over with the needle in her hand, and the serum squirting out the top as she flicked her finger against it. 

"Here we go." She sighed. 

"Wait!" Wynn interrupted, reaching his hand out to stop Aeryn. Everyone looked to him, slightly uptight as a result of his timing. 

"Are you sure we shouldn't tell Sol about this?" Wynn asked. 

Kodiak shook his head. "No. River would never let us go through with this. Besides, it's best if she doesn't know. She won't have to worry about it then." 

//// 

Sol was walking Elara back across camp having finished a light session with her. They didn't do much: just establishing the fundamentals of how to use everything, but there was something that Elara seemed to know already. Just like in her visions, when Elara picked up the sword, there was a fluidity that she couldn't explain - an instinctive movement between her and the weapon. Even Sol couldn't quite believe it, and she was tempted to ask how she knew what she was doing but sensed that her question wouldn't give her the answers she needed. 

She looked over at the young girl as she walked beside her; there was a slight hurry to her pace - afraid that one of her brothers would find her walking around instead of resting, and their worry for her would only increase. 

Sol knew they had every reason to be afraid for their sister: Targo were still out there, Rogue was locked up inside Basilisk, and Elara was obviously hiding the truth from them about what happened, and all Sol wanted was a way to keep her people safe. But more than ever, that was beginning to feel like an impossibility. 

"Get cleaned up, then head back to the room," Sol ordered Elara as they entered the Sovereign's Quarters. "I need to check on a few things, but I'll come find you later. If I see one of your brothers, I'll stall them."