Episode Six, Part 2:

W i t h o u t  F e a r

The next morning, Wynn was up early with Bas; they were sitting near the tents together, having their morning rations as they waited to begin their day. 

"How's Ell doing?" Bas asked, picking at his food. 

"Really good, actually," Wynn smiled, it feeling somewhat foreign that he could say that about his sister and mean it. 

"The serum's working?" The hope in Bas' voice matched Wynn's, and he smiled back almost as brightly. 

"Yeah," Wynn nodded. "She didn't have a vision last night. I saw her earlier this morning and she seemed...normal. Like the Elara we had before all of this happened." 

"I'm happy for you," Bas murmured sincerely, turning his attention back to his dish.

"How's Harlow? I haven't seen much of him these last few days," Wynn inquired. 

"Yeah, he's doing well. They're training him along with some of the other kids around here. I'm pretty sure he's with Fabian or MaReya at the moment, though." 

"Training?" Wynn asked. "What for?" 

"I'm not sure exactly," Bas laughed. "Survival skills? Life skills? Something like that," Bas continued to chuckle at his own lack of observations, but the sound was drowned out by a deafening collapse that came from behind them. 

They automatically shielded their heads, covering their ears as the noise ripped through them. After a few seconds, they looked up - making sure the other was okay before trying to figure out what was happening. 

A mixture of smoke and dust clouded up from the back of the Sovereign's Quarters, and everyone had erupted into chaos - running around and screaming frantically. In a matter of seconds, sirens began to pierce through the air - the same ones they had heard the other day. 

The front entrance to the Quarters opened and as everyone ran towards shelter, Wynn instinctively ran towards danger, heading over towards the back section of the tents where the explosion had come from. 

He could hear bullets firing, and if it wasn't obvious enough, it was the final confirmation that someone was attacking them. 

"Wynn, where are you going?" Bas yelled ravingly. "Wynn!?" 

"The tents!" He yelled back, briefly glancing over his shoulder to look at him, hoping he would catch up to understanding his fear. 

"The back corner of the Quarters was targetted! Our tents are near there! Our family could be there!" 

Reality sunk in Bas picked up his pace, running alongside Wynn to get closer to the sight of the explosion. The back wall of the Quarters had collapsed - half of it spilling inside, the other in ruin in the surrounding areas. Immediately, both boys could see bodies scattered everywhere - some people choking in pain, some pushing the debris off from them, and some not moving. 

Wynn wanted to help everyone to their feet, but he couldn't bring himself to focus on anyone else until he knew his family was safe. They all could have been in the tents still, and to make things worse, Wynn knew that his sister was somewhere in the Quarters - possibly near when the explosion had happened. 

Whilst constantly ducking to avoid the shots still coming - both from the attackers and Basilisk's guards who were trying to man the fences, Wynn caught sight of someone sticking out from underneath the rubble. Despite the blood on her face, and the dust that covered her dark, brown hair, there was a recognition of who he was seeing...