Part 4: Running away from fate

Patrick's point of view: The girl wandered aimlessly, hoping to hide from the real world. I had to keep up with her. She knew no place was safe enough. No one can run away from their own past. They determined her purpose and what she would become even before she was conceived. She was the victim of Fate, nothing more, nothing less. It was not hatred that drove her to rage at Fu Hua. It was her sense of powerlessness before Fate... as for me, well... With what she did to us made me rage at Fu Hua. I had never trusted her for the last three months even after she helped Himeko and Tesla. I hated her so much. But I hate Otto Apocalypse even more than her, Rita, and Durandal.

The girl knew what hid within her. And so did Drago and I. SHE woke when Kiana turned 12. Drago sensed it before. The result was devastating. SHE was the reason why Siegfried abandoned her. She tried to run away and pretended that SHE never existed. The girl dared not stay at one place for too long or befriend anyone. She was afraid to lose them again... And then she met... Mei, Bronya, Theresa, And... Himeko. They were family... they had a home that she wanted to live in. Then a year after that she met me and Drago. I had joined in their family. Our parents knew each other long before we were born. I had come to like everyone in Kiana's family at St. Freya.

But that was a foolish notion. No matter how far she ran or how hard she struggled, the ending was the same. The dark streets came to life with neon lights. There was a crowd and the smell of food was in the air. She shivered like a wet gutter rat in winter. She knew she can't stay here for too long. We must avoid the crowd... I took her down another street where no one was around. She remembered night markets like these. She used to head out with the girls to try out every stall...

When I came into the picture they always had me out to go with them to night markets. It was like when I visited Costa Rica and China when I had a similar experience and when back in America I used to go out with a gang at night with my brother. We would sometimes go to one of my old rich friend's temporary house in my old neighborhood for movie nights and/or to hang out. But since coming to Japan I was in a gang of girls which was really embarrassing but after accepting me and treating me equal like I belonged, I managed to get used to being with the girls every time we went out at night. When out on the road Himeko had a back up driver which was me every time we went on a road trip we had two cars and a trailer since she and I were the only drivers in our squad.

When it was only me driving, Kiana, Mei, and Bronya would tag along with me. Theresa always asked me to take her to her favorite toy stores which I did when Himeko couldn't do it. She felt like a little sister to me. She was Kiana's Aunt. She even figured out that I had feelings for Kiana.

She couldn't control herself any longer, and went after the lights like a moth chasing the fire...

She flashed back to the time when she first met Himeko. "Introduce yourself." "Miss... Himeko?"