Part 5: Flashbacks from the past

May 2014. Enrollment: "Alright fairies. I'm Himeko Murata. You shall address me as Miss Himeko or Instructor Himeko. The Principle may have approved your admissions, but I'll work you hard without mercy. Let's start with a standard roll call." Ordered Himeko. "Hah. You must have heard of me before. I am Kiana Kaslana. YEAH! That Kaslana! The most famous one." Kiana introduced herself. "I'm Mei Raiden, Miss Himeko." Then Mei. "Bronya Zaychik." And lastly Bronya. "Valkyrie Training at St. Freya High begins today you'll be graded based on your performance." Explained Himeko.

"What? Graded? Pfft. I'm no fairy, Aunt Homieko, I'm a seasoned warrior. Skip the training and deploy me to the frontlines NOW." Said Kiana. "Hmph. Address me as Instructor Himeko, suger. FYI, fairies, this "seasoned" warrior was fished out of Nagazora on a stretcher. She's very squishy." Said Himeko. "Hey! That was an accident! We Kaslanas defended humanity from the very beginning! I was fighting uber-OP Honkai beasts with my old man when I was a little girl." "Oh. I guess your old man is the real seasoned warrior for saving your skin, pixie dust." "I don't need saving! A normie like Aunt Himoko will never understand how we Kaslanas fight. We're born warriors."

"That's really rude, Kiana-Chan. Please apologize to Miss Himeko-Sensai." Said Mei. "The Bronya is not surprised by the Idiotka's idiot baka comments." Said Bronya. "Born warriors? Great. A normie like me always wanted to fight a born warrior." Said Himeko.

Kiana remembered when Himeko challenged her to a sparing match. The girl was defeated in an instant by the "normie". Every slash, pirouette, and cleave was executed with utmost precision. The girl had no chance. The "normie" displayed the true powers of physical conditioning and combat moves based on hard science. Before she knew it, the edge of the greatsword gave her a nick on the neck. The instructor looked into her eyes. "This is your first lesson, sugarplum." Said Himeko.

Present: That was Kiana's first lesson from Himeko. She kept on running remembering more of the past.

June 2014. After class: "What's on your mind, Kiana?" Asked Himeko. "Nothing." Answered Kiana. "Wha? That's not what your stupid face says. Alright, sweetheart. Tell mama what you're thinking about." Then she grabbed Kiana by the ears. "......KYAAA! Not my ears! I'm not a kid! Don't treat me like one. Hngh... alright. My stupid old man left me when I turned 12. I told myself that I'm not a kid no more. I gotta get used to living on my own." Finally Himeko let go of Kiana's ears. "Oh dear. Father's Day is coming. And I was a little worried that you're too stupid to get sentimental. Look sugar, you're luckier than me. Your old man taught you everything early on. And I used to think the world was rosy pink up till the age of 19. I thought life was good and filled with possibilities. I wanted to explore crazy places, do some deep sea photography, and settle down with a nice guy. And if that didn't work, I'll just work at my old man's applied Honkai energy lab."

"Eh? You'll work at a lab? Are you a scientist? Why did you end up as a Valkyrie with beefy arms?" "... because I work out and because life isn't perfect, sugar. My old man... he became a Honkai beast after an infection. Couldn't even recognize his little girl." "I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked." "It's alright. I left it all behind and joined the Valkyries for answers. Granted, I was a little too old for that. But I met someone. She told me that getting started is the most important step of any endeavor. I joined her squad. She kept talking about the future... She wanted to become a gardener and teach kids how to grow herbs, berries, and flowers." "So did she become a great gardener in the end?"

"She made it to the KIA list. Her squad was disbanded. I thought about what she said and came here. I became a Valkyrie because I don't want sugar fairies like you to losing their fathers. But I guess too many fairies are leaving their fathers because of some heroic aspirations. They could get a job, fall in love, or make games... but they gave all that up to become a Valkyrie. A real shame. Is it worth it?" "I don't know. I didn't have a choice, you know. I guess someone's gotta do the hard work. My old man told me that Kaslanas boil over when they see people in trouble." "Thats gotta be the worst piece of advice. Hopefully your old man taught you something useful. Perhaps Fate took them away to make us treasure our friends and what we have. Come on, sweet heart, let mama give you a kiss. Nu-uh, sugar. I think it's about time you got some special girl-verses-girl training."