nineteen

nineteen

warnings: implied psychological abuse, jealousy.

Valerie

I had to admit, I wasn't as scared to talk to Stiles as I had been previously, but I was still thankful to see that he was gone when I walked out of the Sherriff's Station. Since my house was the closest, the deputy decided to drop me off first, and I couldn't tell you how relieved I was when I saw that my father wasn't home. I couldn't deal with him right now. I didn't know how he'd react to this situation, but he would probably find some way to blame me.

Unfortunately, he was now my only legal guardian, so he had to be informed. Therefore I gave the deputy the number to his work and got out of the car after saying a quick goodbye to Kira.

I didn't know what my father did when he was away at night. The times I'd asked he'd claimed he was doing work, but the bank he worked at closed in the evening. He could work on a separate computer, but why didn't he just work from home then?

I stopped caring about two years ago. Having nights to myself about twice a month was actually really nice and relaxing. Now I was certainly thankful for it. I decided to go to bed immediately so I could wake up as early as possible. If I got out early enough tomorrow I wouldn't have to see him at all that morning.

But first, there was something I needed to do.

After changing into my pajamas I turned off the lights in my room. I opened my desk drawer and reached in, but hesitated as my hand hovered over the matchbox. I made a quick decision and closed the drawer. Instead of using the matches, I concentrated on the candle I'd placed on my desk. I pinched the candlewick between my thumb and my forefinger, and when I removed them, the wick caught aflame. It burned blue for a couple of seconds before it cooled down and turned yellow.

I picked up my phone with shaking hands, turned the flash on, and took a picture of myself. As I opened the picture, I saw just what I was afraid of seeing.