Chapter 1

(A/N) heyy guys, this is my first ever fanfic... heck, this is my first time writing something for the public's entertainment, so um, enjoy... or not... idk lol. and it might not be such a great story, but please, no negative comments! only constructive criticism! also, if there are any offensive words or events, just don't read them... alright, heree we go... oh, and THIS STORY IS COPYRIGHTED. IT IS OWNED BY ME, CAZZABEAR, AKA CARLY M.S. DO NOT STEAL IT OR COPY IT IN ANY WAY. thank you :)

_____________________________

*Lily's POV*

It was a typical December night in New Jersey... Or should I say morning?... Okay, it was a typical 1:30 AM in New Jersey. There was snow covering the ground as far as the eye could see, and children were fast asleep, dreaming of sugarplums and candycanes. Meanwhile, in the Martin family household...

"Lily! *hiccup* What the hell are you do *hiccup* ing? Hmm? ANSWER *hiccup* ME!" my mom slurred as she walked through the front door. She looked and smelled like she had just gotten back from rummaging through dumpsters. That seemed to be her everyday look though, so it didn't strike me as disgusting anymore, just embarrassing.

My mom is 5'8''. She isn't obese, but she isn't skinny either. She has thin, short brown hair and green eyes. She has bags under her eyes all the time, and she says it's from not sleeping enough, but I say it's from something else...

"Mom, what are you talking about? I have been in my room scared out of my mind all night waiting for you to get home, and YOU'RE asking ME what I'M doing?! Where were you this time? At a club or a bar? I'm seriously getting sick of you doing this all the time!" I practically screamed in reply.

"What am I doing? I'm an ADULT. I don't need to answer to a child about my whereabouts. I'm fine."

"You're fine, really? Were you drinking at all? Actually, don't answer that, because I KNOW you were. And you drove home afterwards too. Again. You do this almost every night. You're going to kill yourself!"

"Hey you little bitch, you don't talk to me like I did something wrong. I DID NOTHING WRONG BY YOU."

That's always her response. "She did nothing wrong by me." Bull shit. She's such a liar. She always does wrong by me. Whether it be the constant drinking, abuse, or neglect, she's always doing wrong. I can't say that though, nor do I have time to before I feel the stinging pain of her fist at my neck. And then her foot in my side. And one last time with a fist to my arm before I'm able to run to my room and lock my door.

"Lily! You open this door! You want to judge an adult and say they've done something wrong when they haven't, then you face the consequences!" my mom screeched from just outside my door.

"If you don't back away from my door I swear to God I'm leaving and never coming home!" I said through tears that were threatening to come up.

I know I've said that time and time again, but this time I mean it... I hope. I'm 18 now, and ever since I bought my first car, I've been plotting my escape from this utter hell hole. I'm planning on seeing the world, it's people, and everything good life has to offer, and hopefully I'll never have to deal with this drunken fool ever again.

"You want to run away? DO IT. I dare you to! You can't survive without me and everything I've done for you! If you don't open this door, I'll get Billy to open it for you!" my mom laughed.

"Fine! Go get Billy! That isn't stopping me from leaving!" I said through a complete downpour of tears while packing up some clothes.

She was right in a way, and I hated it. I wasn't sure if I could live on my own. I have no money and no place to go. Even though my mom seemed to hate me, she did pay for most of my food and for house bills. She put me through school and paid for sports. I'm not sure what I'm going to do... But that won't stop me. I'm leaving if it's the last thing I do.

In the midst of my thoughts, I heard an annoying burly voice yell at me from the opposite end of the door. It was obviously Billy, my awful step-father. He was just as bad as my mother: He yelled at me and hit me and constantly put me down. He thought he ruled the place. He thought he was my father, but he would never be my father. My biological father isn't the greatest, and I haven't talked to him in over 6 years, but he was much better than Billy. Anyone was better than Billy.

As Billy was screaming something at me while trying to knock down my door, I quietly opened my window and slipped out. That was an advantage of having a room at ground level: I had an easy escape whenever I wanted it. I've used it countless times before to sneak out to parties, friends' houses, or just to escape the chaos, and this may be the last time I'm ever going to use it.

I ran through the thick snow in my backyard as fast as I could. I knew that Billy had already gotten into my room, and my mom would try to follow me... Or not... Who knows, and quite honestly, who cares anymore?

The ground was slippery and my feet were freezing as the snow leaked through my sneakers and my socks. A normal 2 minute walk to my best friend Marcie's house took an agonizing 10 minutes. By the time I reached her front door I was a human icicle. I knocked on her door and waited for what seemed like decades in the cold. When she finally answered the door, rubbing her eyes, with her curly hair messy from a clear case of bed head, she simply said, "Mom problems again?"

I smiled slightly, with a tear drop forming in the corner of my eye and replied with a, "How'd ya guess?"

She smiled, hugged me, and let me cry on her shoulder after bringing me inside her house. Everyone was sleeping, like normal families should be. We ended up sleeping on her bedroom floor, only to be woken up a mere 4 hours later to the sound of her alarm clock, indicating that we still had school today.

Joy.

_____________________________

(A/N) yeahhh sooo that was le chapter uno. i hope you liked it? idk. one direction are coming veryyyyy sooonn.... if anyone reads this -_- i dont wanna write if no one reads so vote for me and read my brothaaas :) comment if u liked it! fair winds! ---cazzabear xx