Chapter 5

(A/N) SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING IN SO LONG... But I have school and basketball and since im in all honors classes, homeworks a bitch... but yeah, im here now :D SO ENJOY, MOTHER TRUCKERS. <3

____________________________________________________

*Lily's POV*

The car finally pulled onto my street after what felt like a decade of driving through the thickening snowfall. Driving to the hospital was going to be a bitch, but it'll be worth it.

As I passed my neighbors' houses, I noticed little kids playing in the snow that had been beginning to stick to the ground. I chuckled as an older sister shoved her brother's face into a little pile of the fluffy white ice. I used to do that to Jake all the time, laughing as he screamed and struggled to lift himself out of the frigid substance.

I pulled into the driveway and turned off the car.

"Alright, you wait here. If you see my mom or Billy coming, honk the horn and drive home without me. I'll make it back to your house eventually. I'm just going to grab a few things, and I'll be right back, alright?" I told Marcie.

"Affirmative." She replied.

And with that, I hopped out of the car and ran up the front steps. I fumbled with the keys for a second, but soon found the right one. When I unlocked the door, I quickly pushed it open, slipped inside, and shut the door behind me. Everything was quiet... Too quiet.

"Hello?" I asked the seemingly empty house. "Anybody home?"

A soft noise sounded from somewhere in the hallway.

I froze. I knew I'd heard something. I started walking forward ever so slightly even though everything in my body was telling me to book it the hell out of there.

"Hello?" I asked again, my voice shaking slightly.

Scratching noises came from the same place.

My breathing got heavier. The air around me got thicker. I peered into the hallway and looked for any cause of commotion.

There was nothing to be seen, but I heard more scratching, and what sounded like a little yelp...

Suddenly I realized who the culprit might be, and when I opened the hallway closet door, my suspicions were confirmed.

Out pranced my cat, TJ, tail high, staring up at me like a newborn baby saying, "Mommy, you're home! I've missed you so!"

I sighed a big sigh of relief, grateful that the noises weren't those of a poltergeist or evil spirit trying to possess my human body.

I reached down and patted his furry head as he purred. I wondered how long he was stuck in that closet, and figured he was probably there since I left last night. I soon decided that I would take him to Marcie's house. No soldier left behind, right?

I then made my way to my room. Everything looked the same, except my window had been closed in order to keep the heat inside. I gathered up my chargers, my iPod, some pajamas, an extra change of clothes, a pillow, a blanket, and my toothbrush. Everything else I needed was in the car, so I was good to go.

I shut off all the lights that I had turned on, shut any door that I had opened, and was ready to leave. Right when I grabbed TJ though, I heard Marcie honk the horn.

"Shit." I said to myself. I bolted out the front door, and practically jumped into the car, careful not to let TJ escape my grip on him.

"Drive! Drive!" I screamed at Marcie. She jammed her foot on the gas pedal, sending the car flying in reverse. She switched gears, and before we knew it, we were flying down my street, headed for her house.