Chapter 12

The end of the week was now coming closer and Maya was actually getting somewhere with Thunder.
Even if it didn't look like it their bond grew closer over the last few days and now Maya can be able to finally get somewhere with him.
She actually got to a point where she can now ride him with or without a saddle which is pretty cool for her.

Josh walks out of the house and immediately sees how Maya is riding Thunder.
She is definitely getting somewhere with that horse and it isn't near.
Josh smiles as he walks towards Maya.

"You are doing pretty good with that horse," Josh said.
"Thank you. He is actually very gently but I have to say if it wasn't for trying I wouldn't have gotten anywhere with him. I'm really glad I did try," Maya said and jumped off.
"Yeah, just watch out. You're becoming a real cowgirl, you know that? One of these days we won't be able to get you out of Texas," Josh said and Maya sighed knowing she'll have to tell him at some point.
"I didn't ask about Brad Clifford last night for nothing. My step-father is Shawn Hunter," Maya said.
"Yeah, so?" Josh asked.
"Brad Clifford came after him for some reason which I don't know. He and my mom went to Ohio and he thought sending me to Texas on a horse ranch would do me good. And it was a better way of keeping me safe. They don't have to worry about me then. But it also forced me to break all contact with them and Riley. I can't have contact with anyone because then he'll know where to find me and I don't want that," Maya said.
"I'm so sorry, Maya. It must be terrible," Josh said.
"It's better now than it was awhile back. I'm now used to it. Kinda. I actually have to head into town next week. School applications. I want to try and get into Bandera High. Apparently that will be the bets choice," Maya said.
"Yeah, I went there so I can drop you off," Josh said.
"Thanks. What are your father's plans for tonight?" Maya asked.
"Typical last Friday of the month plans. A huge barbecue with campfire and all of that. You coming?"
"Yeah, your father will expect that from me. I'm really glad I could help this horse," Maya said.
"Yeah. You and I both. I want to give you some more horses starting next week. Time you learn some of our clients better," Josh said and Maya smiled.

~

It was later the night and Maya was still busy in her chalet.
She was already dressed up and ready to go to the barbecue but she was still a bit weary after what she did tell Josh.
She took a deep breathe and grabbed her cellphone and keys before going out.

It was a quiet and calm evening at the ranch but so full of life.
All of the kids who were there during the day were there and a few members of the Matthew family was also there.

"Eric?" Maya said and a man turned around.
"Moesha? What on earth?" Eric said giving Maya a hug.
"How are you?" Maya asked.
"I'm good. What you doing here?" Eric asked.
"I work for your father," Maya said.
"She just fixed a horse that nobody was coming right with," Josh said and Maya smiled.
"Well all I can say is good luck with my brother," Eric said and Maya walked over to greet Amy.

"Take good care of her. She was like your brother's second daughter. Cory still sees her like this. I knew Brad was causing trouble but didn't know where Shawn send her. Is she coping out here?" Eric asked.
"More than. She is actually doing really good," Josh said and turned his head to look at Maya.

She was just having a conversation with Amy while Alan was talking with some of the workers.
He smiled as she was relaxed and it didn't look like she was worried about Brad or anything else.

"So Moesha? What kind of name is that?" Josh asked his brother.
"I always call her a name. Moesha, Malala, Mayonnaise, Marga it's just a thing. I saw her grow up since she was fourteen. She is a good kid," Eric said.
"I have no doubt about that," Josh said.

~

It was much later the evening and now most of the people were gone.
It was now just Alan, Amy, Josh, Maya and Eric which was pretty much not much of a party.
Maya sat looking at the fire while she wasn't sure what is next.

"What about a song, Maya?" Eric said and Maya looked at him.
"Why not?" Maya said and Josh gave her a guitar.
"Let's see what I've got."

"There's always gonna be some canyon in the way.
There's always gonna be a river I cannot cross.
Somewhere along this path that's chosen me
I know I'm gonna fall down, feel lost, feel weak.
But wherever it leads.
No one said this would ever be easy, my love!
But I will be by your side when the impossible rises up.
We will travel this life well-worn,
No matter the cost, no matter how long.
We will leave our footprints behind
And carry on, carry on, carry on, carry on!
Some will write you off before you ever start.
Some will say the journey's just too hard.
Somewhere between right here and the other side
There will be fear and doubt in the deep dark night.
But we will survive, yeah!
No one said this would ever be easy, my love!
But I will be by your side when the impossible rises up.
We will travel this life well-worn,
No matter the cost, no matter how long.
We will leave our footprints behind
And carry on, carry on, carry on, carry on!
We may fall behind,
Lose miles along this road.
We will be alright,
I will never let you go.
No one said this would ever be easy, my love.
But I will be by your side when the impossible rises up.
We will travel this life well-worn,
No matter the cost, no matter how long.
We will leave our footprints behind
And carry on, and carry on."

"Well done. Obviously my brother did a good job raising you," Eric said.
"Haha, funny Eric," Maya said and smiled.
"My brother raised you?" Josh asked.
"Yeah, my... My mom was pretty absent when I was younger. At the age of fifteen after the wedding she actually started to be apart in my life again," Maya said.

~

It was now way later the night and Josh was just walking Maya home.
She was pretty quiet since she told him her mother wasn't as involved in her life as a usual mom but shr thinks he understands the concept.
She wasn't very apart of herofe but she turned out very normal.

"Just for the record, for a girl who had to raise herself you're pretty okay. You did a good job with Thunder," Josh said and Maya smiled.
"Why are you saying this to me?" Maya asked.
"I'm sorry I underestimated you. Even I learned that you can't judge someone based on where they come from. When do you think will this thing be solved with Brad?" Josh asked.
"I have no idea. Due to it I can't have contact with my parents so I have no idea," Maya said.
"I'm gonna be asking way too many questions but what happened to your father?" Josh asked.
"Ah, my dear dad. He left me and my mom when I was five. I haven't seen him since then," Maya said.
"Twelve years ago? How can a man do that? That is terrible. I don't understand it. Your father left twelve years ago, your mother was never really apart in your life and my brother raised you for a huge part of your life. How are you still going?" Josh asked.
"Thanks to your brother and niece I am. They gave me hope. Recently it's been hard keeping up but I'm very glad I got the chance to finally get a few things finished up. I'm very grateful for what Cory did and I'll never forget that," Maya said and they stopped.
"Here you go," Josh said and Maya gave him a kiss on his cheek.
"Thank you," Maya said.

The two looked into each other's eyes before Josh pulled her close for a kiss.
The kiss was soft and passionate.
Something Maya has never experienced before and won't ever again.