Working Overtime

"20 seconds left in the five minute, 3-on-3 overtime. Holt speeds up the left wing and carries the puck over the blue line. Kogane and Shirogane on his tail. Holt passes to Shirogane. Shirogane fakes a shot, passes back to Holt. Ten seconds left, Holt passes to Kogane..."

He can feel the weight of the puck. It's sitting in the curve of his stick. He moves toward the net, deking around two players. He pulls his stick back, and wails on the puck, hitting it with all his force. The goal horn blows, and he's engulfed into a hug by his teammates.

"He~ shoots and scores! Keith Kogane wins it for the Penguins in overtime with just 2.7 seconds left, clinching his team a playoff spot! Oh, and he is smilin' like a butcher's dog! Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has just left the building!"

\_•

The locker room is buzzing with adrenaline and excitement. They are officially in the playoffs. The players talk to journalists and reporters about the clinching. Although a few players get to talk, all the journalists want the captain's words on paper.

"Keith, what's it like for you to earn this playoff spot? It's not your first playoff run as a player, but it's your first as the captain of the Penguins. How does that feel?"

"Well, uh- obviously it's a great opportunity. Yeah, it's not my first run, but I am the captain now. It feels weird with Kolivan gone. He was the captain for fourteen years. He song fire Stanley Cups for this team. We're still not used to him not being here, but we're trying our best."

"Keith! Keith! How do you feel about playing Columbus in the first round again after losing to them last year?"

"Well, obviously they're a tough team, y'know. They work hard, their players have great chemistry. With them we really just have to get pucks deep, and play to the best of our abilities."

"We just got word that the Predators just won their overtime game as well. How do you feel about the possibility of facing them in the Stanley Cup Finals?"

"The Preds are a great team too. They work hard, get things done."

"What about your rivalry with their captain, Lance McClain?"

"We do not have a rivalry. We never have and we never will. He likes to make it seem like there's more than just different teams fighting for the same prize. Ultimately, I just want to win, whether that means beating him or someone else."

By the time the reporters are done, Keith is drained. He stands up and starts going around to check on his team. He goes to Matt Holt first.

"Great job out there, Matty. Without your speed, half of the goals we scored wouldn't have happened." Keith says, dropping a hand on Matt's shoulder.

"Thanks, Cap. You think we have a chance at the Cup this year? I don't know about you, but I've got a good feeling." Matt says, a blinding grin plastered on his face.

"Everyone has a chance, Matt. I have a good feeling too, but don't let that feeling distract you from working for this. Okay?"

"You got it!"

Keith smiles at Matt, then he talk to some of the defensemen. Axca, one of the rookie defensemen, is always hard on herself even after a win. Keith wanted to see how she was.

"Hey, Axxy. How are you doing?" Keith asks subtly. Axca rolls her eyes.

"You're not slick, Captain. I know what you're doing. But, I guess I'm fine. I just can't help but think that if I hadn't take that dumb hooking penalty in the second, we wouldn't have gone to OT."

"Axca, listen...that penalty was a bad call. You didn't even hook the guy. Don't blame yourself. We made it through a tough patch, but it only gets tougher from here. Keep your head up, okay? You're doing great." Keith smile softly. Axca smiles back.