Two

B E G O N I A

Elena fell back. Landing on her behind, she rolled to the side. Everything about her screamed. Whether it was in amazement or fear, she did not know. She stared at the man of regenerating cells. Her mouth opened, closed. It wasn't natural. It was—Elena yelped.

The force that pulled her back was so strong she could feel her shoulder fighting from being dislocated. She kicked her feet, struggling against strong muscles. Elena yelled and elbowed him. His arms slackened, but it was not enough for her to escape. She stamped on his foot to no avail.

Elena was pulled up to her feet, and she sucked in a breath when she realized the knife aimed at her throat and the syringe to her shoulder. Her body froze, eyes widening to saucers. She looked helplessly at the regenerating cells that stood across from her.

"Let her go," they said.

"Make me" came the swift answer.

Elena didn't even process falling to the ground for the fourth time that day. She gasped, letting out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. Jumping onto her feet, Elena spun around to see a massive mound of cells. The two men struggled with each other, and Elena's quick eyes had a hard time deciphering where one body ended and the other started. She bit her lip in frustration, rubbing her wrist.

The movements of the two men were drastically different, she thought. Her attacker seemed to fight with precision, measuring the power of his moves and thinking ahead. The man of regenerating cells, however, fought in the moment. He saw an opening, and he went for it. There was no thought to where he was hitting nor was there any to how he was hitting.

Elena shook her head, cursing under her breath. She looked around wildly, but there was no one else. What was she supposed to do in that situation? Fight? No, she couldn't. She wouldn't. It was absurd to even think about it.

Her heart raced, and Elena felt that it could leap out of her chest at any second. Sweat dripped down her forehead, gathered on the nape of her neck. She looked down at herself as she turned. Maybe it would be best to just run. And yet...

She couldn't. It was like her feet were glued down. Her eyes hardened as something seemed to snap inside her. What was she doing?

Elena rammed the back of her attacker, her shoulder aching at the sheer force. He cried out in surprise, twisting around to grab her wrist. The other man took the opening, throwing a blow to the back of his head. He crumpled to the ground.

Yelping when he fell onto her, Elena stumbled back. The body dropped onto the ground, and Elena stared at it. He wasn't exactly knocked out cold from what she could see. Maybe a minute or two, at most five.

"Don't worry, he isn't dead."

Elena turned, blinking. She nodded at the man, keeping her eyes on the top of the mound of cells. It was a problem not being able to see faces. She didn't know where to look, but she'd gotten fairly good at pinpointing where the eyes were. "I know," she said.

Her eyes narrowed as she studied the regenerating cells. They were unlike anything she had ever seen. They were beautiful, wondrous. Elena inclined her head. She hadn't thought that about any cell in a long time.

"Uh, are you okay?"

Elena didn't hear him, reaching out a hand. Her fingers touched a cell, but she drew her hand back almost immediately. Her eyes widened. "I—sorry," she gasped. "Sorry! I didn't mean to do that. I—" She sucked in a breath, imagining how red she must've looked. Elena rubbed her wrist, looking to the ground. She had forgotten that she couldn't individually touch the cells. She could touch a human just like anyone else, but to extract one singular cell was impossible. Her hands were too big, too clammy.

"It's alright," the man chuckled. "I get that a lot. Y'know, with all the muscles and such."

Elena snapped up. "That isn't what I meant!" she gasped. "I wasn't going for... that."

He laughed, holding out a hand. "No worries. It happens. The name's Steve."

Elena shook the glob of cells with her own. She nodded, gulping as she spoke. "Elena," she said. "Thanks for uh..." She glanced down at the body, gesturing at it. "The help, I guess."

"It was no problem," he said, following her gaze. "Men like him need to be taken care of."

"Yeah, I suppose so," Elena said.

She frowned at the body, scratching her head. It couldn't be a coincidence for her to be assaulted, especially if he was there in front of her apartment. Someone had targeted her. Elena gulped. But why?

Her thoughts ceased at a blur in the corner of her vision. Her eyes dashed to the man's hand. Nothing. Elena pushed her glasses up. She could've sworn—a twitch.

Steve must have seen it too because he raised an arm to shield her. But it didn't matter.

His gray eyes opened, and she stiffened. A mistake.

He lunged forward and plunged the syringe into her thigh. It pierced through her jeans and into her skin. The sharp metal entered her vein, and she choked in shock. Her head spun as her attacker yanked the syringe out. Elena screamed. Normally, shots wouldn't have hurt. But then, she had no consent with this one.

Steve was shouting something, and he caught her when she stumbled back. Her attacker was long gone. Elena clenched her fists shut. Why would her attacker run? His task couldn't have been just to inject her. What was the point in that?

Elena gasped when her vision went out. Black clouds rolled into her vision, and she panicked. She would rather see cells than go blind. She closed her eyes, and reopened them. Still nothing.

Suddenly, a wave of dizziness crashed over her. She tensed, Steve's voice slowly ebbing away. Flashes of white, and everything was normal.

Normal.

Elena froze, eyes widening. She fought herself out of Steve's arms, climbing onto her feet. Everything was normal. The grass, the trees, the flowers. She turned back, taking in Steve's appearance for the first time. Elena met his blue eyes in amazement. Her jaw dropped what seemed like a million miles, and she turned to see the rest of the park. Elena smiled softly.

Raising a hand in front of her eyes, Elena almost laughed. She could see herself too. Pulling her hair out of her bun, she shook her head, letting it all fall loose. Her smile widened. It was like waking up from a nightmare after decades. Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon or a budding flower in the spring.

In her joy, Elena didn't realize the unease that had started coiling inside her until it was too late. Her chest tightened, and Elena yelped. She lost her balance, dropping to the sidewalk. Her muscles seemed to want to constrict, and her eyes stung. She gasped for breath, choking. Tears burned her face, and the wave of black swept over her once more.

The last sound she heard was the sound of her glasses falling, cracking. Then, nothing. 

...

We're just going to pretend that ending didn't happen. Okay? Okay. 

dont murder me please youll regret not knowing what happens and because you probably want to save killing for later 

:)

OH ALSO: I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT THE VILLAIN OF THE STORY AND WAS WONDERING IF I SHOULD MAKE ONE UP OR FIND AN ACTUAL MARVEL PERSON.