Chapter Seven

Viperpaw hurled herself at a pale blue-gray tabby she-cat, slashing her face with her claws before springing away to avoid her retaliation. Claws sank into her haunches and she yowled in agony as another cat tore at her flesh.

"Argh!" Viperpaw hissed and her tail arched in pain as the cat swatted at her legs.

"Viperpaw!" Darkfang's angered yowl and thundering paws let Viperpaw know that the deputy had brought help. "Get off her, you mangy worm!" The tabby deputy spat as she tackled the cat clinging to her haunches.

"Duck!" The voice of Cursedblood was like birdsong to Viperpaw's ears as she dropped to the ground, watching her mentor soar over her head and lock into battle with the pale tabby. "Viperpaw, get to the elder's den!" He hollered as he raked his claws against the tabby's cheek.

Without responding, Viperpaw did as she was told and sprinted toward the elder's den, where three large cats were tussling with Rainfall and Gorsespring. One of them was a brown tabby tom, a silver-and-white tabby she-cat, and a smaller dark brown tabby she-cat.

Seeing that the two elders were faring fine with the larger of the three, Viperpaw launched herself at the smaller dark tabby, ripping her away from the elders and throwing her to the ground.

She scrambled to her paws, her eyes ablaze with anger as a cut above her left eye began to bleed. She shook her head, spraying blood droplets onto the ground. "You mouse-heart!" She spat and darted toward Viperpaw, knocking her to the ground and pinning her. "You'll pay for that!"

Viperpaw hissed and spat in her face, lifting a paw and slashing the she-cat's eyes. The cat yowled in agony and Viperpaw clawed at her belly, shoving her away before scoring a blow onto her muzzle. Viperpaw reared on her hind legs, only giving the she-cat a window to slash at her exposed soft flesh. Wailing in pain, she dropped onto all fours and backed away from the dark brown tabby she-cat.

"Cats of ShadowClan!" Beetlestar's booming voice made Viperpaw's fur stand on end as she turned her head to see her leader atop the Highledge, shoving the body of a limp pale ginger cat off the peak. The cat slammed into the ground with a loud thunk!

Gasps of shock and horror racked the clearing and Viperpaw pricked her ears, slightly sickened at her leader's action. "What's going on?" She whispered.

"You attack our camp without reason!" Beetlestar snarled, lashing his tail as he glared around at the rival Clan. "Leave and don't come back!"

"Blizzardstar!" The cry of the warrior she had fought earlier made her bristle as she watched the she-cat race to her fallen leader. "She's dead!"

"Serves her right!" Spat Viperpaw as she glared at the warrior. "One of your Clanmates stole one of our kits!"

"What?!" An outraged shriek from one of the ShadowClan warriors was loud as they stepped forward. The cat was a black tom with pale green eyes as they flashed to the apprentice. "Liar! ShadowClan doesn't steal kits!"

Viperpaw bared her teeth and snarled at the warrior, her wounds burning like fury but her anger burned brighter. "Then where is Badgerstorm's kit?"

A wail from the nursery made it clear that the queen had heard her. "Where's Cloudkit?" She cried, racing into the nursery, her shoulder bleeding and clumps of fur missing from her flanks. Her hazel eyes were alight with fear and anger as she got in the black tom's face, spitting. "Give me back my daughter or I'll claw your eyes out!"

"Badgerstorm!" Wildrapid darted forward and wedged between his mate and the other warrior. His eyes were frantic as he guided her away back to the nursery.