Chapter Four

"If you stop actin' like a wildcat, I'll let you go," he finally offered, watching her brow crease with a slight frown. Taking a chance, knowing she did not understand, he met her unwavering stare with one of his own, gradually loosening his hold on her left wrist. She wiggled it free, half lifting it between them as a barrier. Mistrust was etched clearly on her face. Reaching up, Duncan exposed the angry red welts on his skin, indicating the area. Her feral gaze flicked to the wounds then back.

"Don't do it again." He warned. A light of understanding glimmered briefly in her brown eyes before vanishing. Slim, dusty fingers lifted, curling over his which still held her right wrist. He let her push his hand away, giving just enough resistance so she would know he did not trust her. As soon as she was free, those wild brown eyes darted toward the piebald, which stood less than ten paces away.

"You try it, I'll lay you out flat!" He snapped harshly, watching her look back at him. There was a clash of wills, hers clearly apparent in her eyes, expression, and posture. She wanted that mare! Deciding to move while she was semi-peaceful, Duncan backed away, bending to pick up the rifle from where it had dropped. Opening the breach, he blew out the sand and dust, all the while never taking his gaze from her.

Paler than before, a sheen of sweat coated her face and neck, soft trembles rocking her body, but Duncan staunchly refused to fall for it. That she-cat was trouble, pure and simple! Besides, once her people came looking for her, he'd be in hot water if caught within a hundred miles of an Indian woman. What he'd already endured was bad enough, but it would be nothing compared to what they'd do to him if they thought he'd touched her. Gathering the lead rope, he moved sideways to the steel dust, swinging into the saddle. Glad to be rid of her with no bloodshed, he turned the gelding. A sharp cry followed him, and startled he whipped around.

He saw her take a short step forward, her swollen ankle folding as she crumpled to the ground, all the while keeping her eyes on his. Resentment filled them, but they were pleading too. Hand lifted, arm stretched toward the mare, she spoke. Duncan didn't speak Apache and had no idea what she was saying, but what she wanted was obvious.

Wandering like he'd been, Conner hadn't seen another white in many months, an Indian in nearly as long. Sometimes it felt like he was the only man in the world, and he got used to it. Now, suddenly, here was a feral she-cat that was about as settled as a cut snake and as trustworthy as a scorpion. To top it off, she was wanting to go with him! He hesitated, untrusting, wondering why the woman was so desperate. Where were her people? It hummed in his blood like bees.

While he was no stranger to trouble, and afraid of little, Duncan Conner had acquired healthy respect and desire for life. All he could see on the path ahead was trouble if he took this wildcat with him. Yet, her eyes had not left his as she silently pleaded, somehow begging without a sound. It kept him fixed in place, desiring to leave but unable to.

S~H~E

Staring into his eyes, I felt a surge of helplessness fill me. How could I make him understand? Would he even care? Yet, even as I doubted, I knew there was no choice, not if I wanted to escape Itza-chu's grasp. With my ankle hurting so terribly, I could not run away on my own.

"I am proud," I told the white man desperately. "A woman strong and independent, but here I lay at your feet, begging you, please leave the mare for me. Please..."

My tone seemed to soften him, because the rider swung down from the gelding and moved toward me, cautious and wary. Our eyes held, but he was far from trusting. Despite that encouraging response, I could tell he still did not understand. With a bitter flavor in my mouth, I changed to the language of the enemy of my people.

"Though I speak their words, I am not one of them! I use their tongue only with the hope you will hear me." My heart pounded with hope and apprehension.