Chapter Twenty

For a tense moment, they stared at one another through the bars of the cell, then the boy gave an exaggerated sigh.

"How am I supposed to pick a side if you won't let me help? It's like you want me on Hartman's side!"

"I'd rather see you live through the next few days." Duncan countered. "War ain't somethin' to want. It's bloody, painful, an' the last resort for any thinking man. You start to enjoy it if you're not careful, an' that's a walk on a dark road to a pine box in boot hill."

Danny was a boy who'd likely never even fired a gun, much less killed a man. Getting involved would strip that from him, and if he walked out alive he'd have blood on his hands, blood that no amount of time nor water would wash off. Duncan wanted to spare him that, for death marked a man's soul. Each time he took a life, no matter why he lost a bit of himself too.

"I don't care," Danny was protesting. "I'll help whether you want me to or not!"

"Don't turn down help," Nash spoke up quietly from the shadows. "Hartman has a dozen men on his side. There's two of us."

"Three," Duncan spoke slowly, his eyes on the boy. "There's three of us."

"I won't let you down!" Danny came forward eagerly, grabbing the cell bars. "I'll get you outta here!"

"Slow down, we got a plan already. All I need for you to do is wait for daylight, but early. Then find Hartman and tell him you saw us breakin' out of here an' takin' off toward the stable."

"That's it?"

"Sure. Startin' a fight ain't hard. The hard part comes when Hartman tries to stop us. When he does, you bring a loaded gun an' keep your head down."

"I will!" Danny was beaming with energy, grinning. "You won't be sorry!"

He left the jail quickly after that, and as the door shut Duncan had his arm through the bars, unlocking the cell. Shree had given them the key before she'd left, and they stepped into the office space, careful to avoid the line of sight from the windows.

"You think he's on our side?" Nash asked quietly, but Duncan shrugged.

"He was keen, maybe a little too much, but you can't ever tell with a boy. He ain't dried out behind the ears yet. He just might make the right choice."

"That's why you let him think 'three' meant him, and not her, and why he don't know we're outta here now, not later."

"You catch on fast." Shoving the copper key into the flimsy lock, he yanked the desk drawer open. Retrieving their weapons, Duncan slung his gun belt around his hips, cinching it down as Nash tucked his Colt behind his belt, reaching for their rifles. Staying low, Nash crept toward the door, cautiously edging it open as Duncan watched the windows. To leave the jail alive they'd have to take out Hartman's gunman on watch.

Holding his hat head height, Nash let it slip past the doorframe. A stab of light came from the rooftop across the street, ripping a hole through the crown with a loud belch of thunder. Before the sound faded Duncan had drawn and fired, aiming where the flash had come from. For several heartbeats they waited, then Conner nodded and Nash pushed his hat farther into sight, at a lower level. There was no response. He glanced at Duncan.

"I'm gonna make a run for that building."

"Go." Conner's gaze had not left the roof. "I got him."

"Sure?" The steely look on his companion's face shut him up. "Alright, but if I catch lead, I'll stop speakin' to you."

Taking a deep breath, he plunged into the night, racing for the shabby outline of the post office. About halfway across he thought himself safe, but the sharp bang of a rifle tugged at his hat. With a curse, Nash threw himself forward, hitting the ground rolling as he made it to safety. An answering clap came from the jail, followed by a muffled cry and the tell-tale thump of a body falling. Panting, he sat up as Duncan left the jail.