Chapter Thirteen

Her warm breath was a caress against his neck as she spoke, her hands lightly resting on his chest and Duncan grinned, laying his cheek against her hair. Somehow this wildcat of a woman had stolen into his heart and taken him by surprise. Despite having to actively survive her bouts of wicked temper, he liked her. Very much, claws and all. Still...the thought grew with nagging force in his mind. Her unexpected display of affection could simply be an offer of repayment, a common and accepted way to express gratitude.

Saving her life, killing her enemy, perhaps she felt indebted, and no more. Duncan cautioned himself he'd have to walk soft so he didn't give her reason to think he expected anything from her. He had no expectations of the wildcat at all, other than her occasionally trying to take a piece of his hide off. Clearing his throat, he took a step back, holding her at arm's length to smile into her eyes.

"You know, She-Cat- Wohitika Olowan...you still haven't told me where we're headed."

At the use of her name, she met his gaze, brown eyes soft but puzzled. His command of her language was too limited to express it, so he shook his head.

"Never mind. I figure we'll get there anyhow." Gesturing to the horse, he was careful not to touch her now. "Ready?"

Rubbing her fingers, a faint gleam of anxiety appearing in her eyes, Wohitika Olowan stared at him. Hesitancy was plain on her face, as if she wasn't certain of what exactly what he meant, or why he was keeping his distance. The mare was still free of the gelding, standing nearby. Keeping his smile in place, Duncan just waited. After a long moment, she nodded slowly. As with all things, she would take her time to adjust.

"Come on," holding out his hand, his grin was gentle, undemanding. "Let me help you up."

Partially lifting her lithe form, Duncan settled the she-cat on the piebald's back, handing her the reins. Their eyes met, and for the first time her lips curved into a small but genuinely pleased smile.

"Dun-Can...we go together." The way his eyes crinkled at the corners told her Conner didn't understand, but her smile only grew. It triggered one on him, so mounting, he nudged the smoke-colored horse nearer to her.

"Well...lead the way, She-Cat."

Tossing her head a little, Wohitika Olowan swung the mare around so the piebald's nose pointed north. Mindful of her healing injury, she tapped the mare's flank with her heel, leaving him to catch up.

Riding through Pawnee country was a dangerous thing, Duncan's every sense alert to sound, to movement. War parties crisscrossed the country regularly. The government had military outposts dotted across the territory, but riders knew they went through at their own risk. If trouble came, there would likely be no time to get help from the army. She-Cat rode beside him, her posture and expression just as cautious as his, poised to react on a moment's notice. They kept off the skylines, staying to what shadows and cover there was, leaving as little trail as possible.

Several times they spotted small herds of antelope, much too far away to hunt, and twice they startled up jackrabbit, but Duncan let them go. Passing a dusty, rough-looking jumble of boulders, he caught the slinking form of a coyote vanishing into the grass. Other than that there was little sign of life, at least, nothing recent.

Making camp along a sluggish running creek that night, he regarded She-Cat with fresh curiosity. Although they had to be closer to where she'd wanted to go, she'd given no indication of what was on her mind. Nor had she made any sign of mourning over Itza-chu, though the apache had clearly meant to reclaim her. Although they'd made some progress with communication, Conner was pushed to find out more. After changing her bandaging, he spoke up.