Chapter 4: My Nickname

A couple days later I got a desk and seat in the classroom. I'm still stuck in the back of the classroom but at least I don't have to sit on the floor anymore. I'm trying to keep my hair over my ears so I won't get bullied but everyone talks about me. They all know I'm a Half Elf. But they all call me a Half Human. I've gotten into a lot of fights in the school hallways and my dad is not happy about it. It's not my fault that the other kids bully me and push me around. No one likes Half Elves. I feel like I'm the only one who is a Half Elf. I can't trust anyone here because they become my friend then start bullying me.

After school I sneak over to watch the guards practice fighting. I try my best to stay hidden and copy them. When they start fighting with a sword I grab a nearby stick and practice. I love watching them and practicing. I am slowly learning how to fight. I can't stay too long or else my dad will get suspicious. Sometimes for fun when the guards stop fighting and listening to there leader I grab another stick and practice with two sticks. I like fighting with two sticks better than with one. It's more fun using two. And it gives me a challenge. I like challenging myself. It's very exciting. And it gives me something to do because the other kids won't play with me. I would ask my dad to buy me some weapons or fake weapons but I know he wouldn't approve of that. He thinks if I look weak then the others won't bully me or kick me out of Silvanesti. I don't care about getting kicked out. No one likes me except for my dad. The other Silvanesti adults tolerate me because of my dad. To be honest I don't understand why I don't live with my mom. I would be safer there.

*Picture at the top of the chapter is Nava's mom*