Chapter 7: Three Years Later

I'm eight years old now. Every day I have school I go right after school and watch the guards train. I copy whatever they do and practice. I practice all the time in my room. My dad doesn't know and I can't let him know. He won't be happy about it. Every now and then my dad takes me on a trip to see my mom. It's hard seeing her slowly aging and getting older while my dad doesn't change. It's the struggle of being Human versus being an Elf. Elves live longer lives. I can see how much my parents love each other. But it's not safe for them to stay together. One day I'm walking in the hallway and I get cornered again by some older kids. I was just trying to walk to my class. I'm about to drop my bag on the ground and start fighting when a girl walks over and says "You don't need to fight. Leave her alone." I look and see the girl with white hair. The boys around me look at her. One of them angrily tells her "mind your own business."
She punches him right in the face then walks away. The boy cries out in pain and all quickly rush away from me. I'm surprised she stood up for me. I don't understand why someone would care about me. I quickly head to class so I won't get in trouble. My dad hates when I get in trouble.

I walk to watch the guards after school. I still watch them in secret. I decide to get some small jobs to raise money to buy some weapons. Hopefully my dad won't find out I want to buy weapons. I keep watching until they suddenly all start running when a messenger came. I didn't hear what the messenger said but it can't be good. I rush home and my dad looks at me relived to see I'm home. He asks "Where have you been? I've been so worried!"
I ask him "What's wrong?"
"There's warnings of some Evil races being near Silvanesti. We are safe here but they are still being cautious. They want us all to stay in our houses until they figure it out. I was so worried they did something to you when I was forced to come home early and I didn't see you. Where were you?"
"I was walking around. I like exploring some when the streets aren't as crowded."
I know I'm lying to him but he can't know what I really do. He tells me "Just...be careful...I-"
"You don't want me getting hurt. I know. I'm careful. I'm gonna go do my homework now."
He nods as I walk into my room. I close the door and finish my homework before I start practicing the positions of holding a bow. After practicing the bow positions I start practicing fist fighting. Then I start with one stick the sword positions. I swing the stick around while holding it with both hands. I keep swinging around the stick and start hitting some of my toys with it, imagining I am fighting real bad guys. Eventually I grab both sticks and keep practicing.

A couple hours later my dad wakes me up saying dinner is ready. I get up off the floor. I didn't realize I fell asleep. I follow him out and and sit down at the table. He asks me "Why do you have some sticks in your room?"
I tell him "I was going to make something out of them. I'm not sure what."
"What can you make out of two sticks?"
"Uh...a game? I could make something up. Or gather more sticks. I can also break the sticks and make a lot more sticks."
My dad doesn't ask any more questions. I've gotten better at lying to him. I know if he finds out I want to fight he would get very upset. I hesitantly tell him "I have something I wanted to ask you."
"What would that be?"
"If...I could...um.."
"What?"
"If I could do some random jobs to make some money."
"If you want something I could buy it for you."
"No. I want to earn money myself. You know so I can practice for when. I get older."
"Are you sure that's a good idea? No one really likes you. They would give you jobs they hate doing."
"I don't mind. I'm fine doing anything. I want to make money and buy some stuff on my own. If it's ok with you."
"If you really want to. Just be careful."
"Thanks!"
He smiles and tells me "I didn't know you would get so excited about doing some jobs."
I smile and shrug. He doesn't know what I really want to use the money to do.

*Picture at the top of the chapter is what the Elf child with white hair looks like*
(Authors Note: If you don't already know the white haired Elf kid is Rosa. They won't really meet until years later in World of Tiber)