The Octarian Civil War

Undercity, Octo Valley

Fighting broke out all over the Undercity, what was once considered the only habitable area in Octo Valley became a beacon of conflict.

Octavia and her better trained but overpopulated Octarian army was attacked at almost every turn by Victoria and her smaller and less equipped but easier to organize New Octopolis army.

Both Octavia and Victoria knew that the Elite Octolings were dwindling in number and they were essential for keeping the army in check.

So both sides had their own ways of dealing with them.

"Kevin, Eliza's splatoon is fighting an Octarian army splatoon in the southwest area of the Undercity, go over there and get an aerial view of the situation, if you see any Elite Octoling, send a volley of Inkstrikes at them." Victoria ordered

"Uhh you sure? I don't think we've got enough juice to get all the saucers in the air."

"Just one saucer will do, go for it."

"Wow I've never seen you this serious back in Nautilus, alright I'm on it! Come on guys, you wouldn't want to miss out on this would ya? Especially you Tony." Kevin said before taking off with his usual squad of Octosnipers

Victoria's plan was to focus on the Elite Octolings, after all she had heard from Inker that Captain Vale might still be out there doing the same thing.

If that was true, then they were most likely to run into her at some point, plus Victoria trusted Vale's judgement, so if Victoria figured that if Vale was going after the Elite Octolings there must be a good reason.

Should Captain Vale be found by her forces, Victoria decided she would rant a bit and lecture Vale on faking her death and leaving everyone behind, but she would also be thankful she was still alive and let her command this "New Octopolis" army.

'Yeah, I'll make Vale deal with this burden of leadership with me as payback.'

Nautilus base, Octo Valley

On the other side, Octavia had her own method of dealing with the massive losses of Elite Octolings over the past year.

"There is now an express training program for any Octoling wishing to advance to Elite, be warned the program is not to be taken lightly and only a small percentage will actually pass." Elite Octolings announced to the rest of Nautilus base.

Octavia had already relaxed some of the qualifications needed to become an Elite Octoling in the past, but never to this extent.

The quality of Elite Octolings were slowly going down as more fresh green recruits were able to advance rapidly to the Elite ranks.

"Ma'am, with this new program we might be able to resolve the lack of Elites in the army, but the other Elites and I aren't so glad that our ranks are so easily obtainable to these newbies." One Elite told Octavia.

"What? Are you saying you're jealous of new blood?"

"No ma'am, rather we don't like the idea of being replaced by inferior Octolings."

"Oh don't worry, you aren't being replaced."

To Octavia, giving these new Octolings an Elite title didn't actually make them a real Elite Octoling like her.

Rather the title itself was for show, it would make a normal Octoling feel more important and encourage them to stay with the Octarian army rather than join the New Octopolis army.

Plus they would serve as decoys or meat shields to the real Elites, who were the ones trained by Octavio.

"In short, I'm merely making them an Elite Octoling in name only, it will boost their morale, thinking they are much more capable than they really are, while at the same time painting a big target on their head." Octavia explained to the 'real' Elite Octolings.