Chapter Two

My first subway ride. And it's overwhelming.

So much life to draw.

My seat in the back corner gives me a prefect view of everything and everyone. There is a couple standing together, clutching the beams to support themselves. There are people sitting, eyes shut, their ear buds on and listening to music. A man in business suit leans against the wall of the wall of the car, reading a newspaper.

The pencil in my hand moves across the page of the sketchbook I have propped up on my lap, leaving behind an array of pencil marks, smudges, and lines that incorporates together to form clear images.

Another reason why I like art: it finds beauty and clarity inside the chaos in my head and my life.

Today, I am going to register to an art academy.

Needless to say, I'm really nervous. But as the soft scratches of pencil on paper fills my ears, I began to feel myself calming down. It will all be fine.

++++++++

The art students waiting to register are the coolest people I had ever seen.

I'm currently waiting in in a line that extends outside the building, so great is the number of people.

I had no idea there are so many people just as interested in art as I am. What had I gotten myself into?

As the line moves slowly forward, I can feel my anxiety coming back. Can I actually do this?

++++++++

"You'll need to find job by the end of the week to maintain your scholarship," Ms. Matthews tells me.

When I finally enter the building, I was directed to Ms. Matthews's office, who is one of the academy's admission councilor.

Ms. Matthews looks about twenty-five years old, is dressed in an blue dress suit and glasses, and has her hair in a bun. With her clipped voice, cold eyes that seems devoid of emotions, and superior attitude, I'm starting to feel really annoyed on top of all the anxiety, which is not helping my current predicament.

"End of the week? But I just got here," I try to reason.

But Ms. Matthews would have none of that. "Most of the students get here a week early to line something up," she says and hands me a brochure, pamphlets of information, and sheets of paperwork.

She dismisses me with a last sentence: "Listings are in the career center. They have all kinds of hiring ads there. Get a job and get this signed."

++++++++

DAUNTLESS ENTERPRISE HIRING

Ideal applicants exhibit a passion for punctuality and modesty. We are seeking highly qualified candidates who can act with the utmost level of discretion and professionalism. Interested applicants should submit their resumes through the Career Center portal. Click on the link below for further information.

++++++++

"So that's what she said?" Christina is livid. "You just came to this city a day ago, and she already expected you to find a job as easily as that!?"

When I came back from the academy, Christina asked me how it went. I told her it was fine, but for some reason Christina was able to see through my lie. And so I recounted everything to her, including the conversation between me and Ms. Matthews. Upon hearing that, Christina became very angry at Ms. Matthews and comforted me.

When I was living with my foster family, no one gave me a second glance, either at the house or at school. And now, Christina- a mere person I met just yesterday- cared for me more than any one of them ever will. She could have treated me as just a roommate, some nobody sharing the rented apartment. But she choose to treat me more than that. She treats me as a friend, and I couldn't have been happier.

"Don't worry about it, Chris," I reassure her. "I already found something and applied for it. And they replied back immediately."

"Wow," Christina says, plopping next to me on the couch, her ranting all forgotten. "What did they say?"

"They replied that I have to go over for an interview tomorrow and get a few things signed."

"That was fast," Christina says, her eyebrows furrowed. "But what kind of job is it?"

"The listing wasn't very specific, but it pays well and it says I can start immediately."

"But who?" Christina inquires further.

"I'll tell you when I'm sure I got the job," I reply. "But right now I need to figure out what to wear to the interview. And I know just who to ask for advice."

Christina grins and head towards my room, calling over her shoulder, "Since you have the whole afternoon free, why don't I show you around the city?"

I am about to decline, but Christina interrupted me with: "I know you've seen everything when you were trying to find this apartment, but I'm sure you haven't seen everything specifically. And I'm not taking 'no' as an answer this time."

I laugh. "Alright then!"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Aloha, readers! Finally an update that is on time!

Thanks to all of you for reading, commenting, and voting!

Wash your hands and see you people next time.

~KathleenAG (March 22, 2020)