Prologue

My parents worked on the water. They were fishers. My brother Caleb, who was two years older than me, often helped them when we got back home from school everyday. And during the summers as well.

One day, when I was nine, they went out to sea... and they never came back.

That morning, my mother had lovingly cut my hair in front of the only mirror we keep in our house, my father had made our breakfast while wearing a smile, and my scholarly brother had his nose in a book like usual.

Nothing out of the ordinary had happened earlier that day. Nothing that prepared me for what happened next.

My father has a sister, and they weren't very close to each other. Her family lived somewhere in the suburban part of Chicago. I didn't know them well. But I had nowhere else to go.

Living there was not living. I was only biding my time. I always knew I didn't belong there. I learned to be invisible.

Most of the time, I felt like I didn't belong anywhere. No one had any use for me. But I knew I could do one thing. I could take what I saw and put it on a piece of paper.

I have always liked art. Drawing. I can express myself through those pictures while I could not do so in words.

I had dreamed about moving to New York City to study art. That became my ultimate destination when I can finally move out.

I hope one day those things would be my ticket out. In the meantime, I had to earn money.

I found work. Work that my family did that caused their death. But I had experience in the field. I went out on as many trips as I could and saved every single penny I earned until I had enough.

I knew there was a wide world out there, as big as the ocean. All I needed was the courage to go.

And the day I turned eighteen, I left.

The only items of importance to me-the only items that I have to bring with me-are the locket that contains photos of my parents and brother, and the necklace they gave to me on my seventh birthday. It has three, small, black ravens hanging on it. I remember my brother telling me the ravens are a symbol of protection, and my parents telling me they will always be with me and protect me when I wear the necklace.

There are many things I could have said to my mom, dad, and brother. About how much I love them and appreciated them. About how happy I am to have them in my life. But I never did.

There were many things I could have said to my foster family. About how I had been treated. About how I could never, ever come back. Instead, I left there the same way I had lived there.

Invisibly.

I took a bus to New York City early in the morning.

I can start my new life there. I can be remade.

I will finally be starting new.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Hey, everyone! Welcome to my new Divergent fanfic!

I am not sure what my update schedule for this story will be since I am also wiring another one, but I'm sure it'll be every other week. Or maybe whenever I feel like it! XD

But I promise I will not keep you waiting for too long!

I hope you will enjoy this new story! Thank you for reading, commenting, and voting!

Stay tuned!

~KathleenAG (Friday, October 11, 2019)