The Elvish Cult

(Mathias POV)

"... Join us, friend. No need to be shy when among us, you belong~" the echo surrounds me.

The warm light was hazy and bright with my sleepy eyes, everything seemed blurry and ethereal and almost like I was in a dream. I was almost lulled back to sleep by the folk music and warmth- until I heard a voice against my head,

"Wait... Lukas-" I come back to reality and my feet touch the ground. I was being carried, my head was resting on Berwald's shoulder, and accidentally drooling on his shirt.

"Hnn? Where are we, Berwald?" I grumble, yawning and wiping my mouth off, Berwald realizing I'm awake and let me go, glancing back to me quickly before looking back to what he was focused on. He didn't answer me though, just rushed forward. There were these beautiful people, some with skin as pale as porcelain and others with skin as warm as sunlight, long glicening hair that sparkles tied up in intricate braided designs, all wearing flowing silks and jewelry that chimed as they danced; and most importantly, their ears were long and pointed, and their eyes were wide and looked almost inhuman, angled like fox. "Berwald, seriously. Where are we?" It took me a second to realize we were already in the middle of the woods, forgetting I had fallen asleep; I couldn't even see the edge of the forest from where we are.

"Lukas you can't just go with them!" Berwald lurched forward, grabbing onto Lukas' hand. Lukas was being pulled into the magical group, willingly; he looked back at Berwald with a glaze over his eyes, like he was entranced by these creatures. He spent only a few seconds looking at Berwald before trying to pull his hand away,

"Let go," he said so calmly, slipping his hand from Berwald's grasp. My mother told me story's of creatures like this, that will take people forever to their world, to trick them into coming to stay with them forever; I can't let that happen to Lukas! I lunge forward as well, taking lukas' hand tight before he disappears into the crowd,

"Stop that!" I yell, keeping Lukas' hand tight in my own, I can't loose him too. The whole crowd stopped and quieted around me, Lukas, and the individual guiding him.

"You're calling this child the name Lukas, correct?" The individual spoke, their voice smooth and whispered in an echo not like this plane. "Lukas belongs with us-"

"No he doesn't!" Tears swell in my eyes, gripping onto his wrist as well so he has no chance of slipping away.

"Well, Lukas doesn't belong to you, mortal. You cannot decide Lukas' fate."

"He doesn't belong to you either!"

"I never said that Lukas did.." the creature sighed. A circle formed around us, the dancers and players stoped and stared with their starry gazes. I look behind me for support from Berwald, he was standing right behind me looking like he wanted to draw his sword. They let go of Lukas, and I gently pulled him to me. "Lukas, please tell these mortals where you belong-" the elven crossed their arms in wait for Lukas to answer.

"I mean.." he mumbled. I warmly held onto both of his hands, looking up at him as he was facing downwards, the glaze in his eyes fading back to consciousness. He didn't seem to know how to answer. "I have not come here to join you. Only to ask for your help."

There was a pause of silence, an anger boiling in the fox like eyes of the elf,

"What a Shame..!" The elven spit out in an anger, taking a deep breath before looking back to Lukas, and only Lukas, with an annoyance and sharpness in their eyes, "and for this mortal no less! A wimp of a mortal! Just a boy!!" They laugh, "a shame! SHAME!" Lukas pulls a hand from mine and looks up to me, placing his hand gently on my cheek,

"It's ok, Mathias. You can let go. I got this." Hesitantly, with creaking hands, I let go. He heads straight to the bushes at the side of the clearing where we dropped all our stuff, pulling out a single pastry. The group of creatures around us audibly gasped, their eyes wide, just gazing at the powdered berry pastry Lukas held in his hands. "You were about to take me unwillingly, and still you call it a shame that I won't come with you?" He spoke calmly but with a confident fire, it was Lukas who was talking, he wasn't still a puppet. "I only came here for- well-... I was hoping to find something out about myself, or perhaps help- in exchange for this." He held the pastry out to the elven. The anger in their eyes turned to a smug curiosity,

"So you don't even know? Hmm, I wonder how that happened." They mumbled as they examined Lukas, then looking longingly at the pastry in consideration. "Deal. I will provide you with partnership with the elves and the other fae. Nothing else. I believe it is best to figure out your fate on your own, since you strangely don't already know it. But I, and the others will help you on your journey. That's all I promise you." They walk up to Lukas and take the pastry, taking a bite of it with bliss as if they haven't eaten a sweet pastry in centuries. "I will see you later Lukas." Then they looked to me, "I will see you around as well, mortal with the fate guided by- well-." They look up at the moon, then look back down at us will a mischievous smile, waving as they take another bite, fading along with as the other elves around us as the moon falls to the next hour, and now just leaving us in the dim moon lit clearing.

"Um. Lukas?" I turn to him, he just looked stunned in place like he was trying to comprehend all that has happened.

"Mathias, I didn't want you, or Berwald to see that-.. them... That's why I- um... anyways, I'm glad you two were there, to save me." He looked embarrassed, and like he was about to cry. I rush up and hold him close, Berwald does as well; to comfort Lukas. "Just, please don't tell anyone."

"I won't, promise." Berwald mumbled.

"You're secret is safe with me!" I smile, just glad that he's safe. People fell threatened when others are chosen by magic, it often leads others to destroy each other, I'd never put him in danger by telling anyone this.

"Thank you both," Lukas sniffles, the chuckles as he try's to squeeze his way out of both of our hugs, "ok ok that's enough! We still need to gather up some of those flowers!"

"What?! We still need to gather flowers? I thought that was just something you said to get us off your backs!"

"Well, I need those too! Now we need to find them quickly and get back to town before your parents find out your both not at home."