Lights in the Woods

(Lukas' POV)

"Are we there yetttt?" Mathias groaned from behind me, I'm practically dragging him along by his hand. I thought it was a good idea to bring him along on this mission Mikkel gave me. Mathias is always bugging me about wanting to hang out, and I want to spend time with him too, but I never have the time with my study and work schedule.
I just need to be sure that he doesn't get hurt.
Mikkel told me that there could be elves out here that can help me grow, warning me that as long as I give them the pastries I packed they won't do anything harmful to me, to us. He refused to tell me specifics, but he gave me many warnings.

"Did you really have to bring him along? I told you that even bringing you was a risk, let alone him..." I huffed as I turned my head to look at Mathias as we walked, glancing over at the silent boy trailing about ten feet behind us, keeping his eyes to the ground. The smaller the group the better, in my mind even two people was a stretch. "Maybe we should just turn around and head back-.." I can wait until next full moon to do this, as long as they're safe; or just rush back out once I've seen they've gotten home safely.

"W-what! No! We can help you with- whatever you're doing." Mathias sounded heartbroken by my suggestion, quickly appearing at my side to beg for us to keep going. I still doubt it. "Ya see, I'm here for moral support and such! And sword boy is here for, well, he has a sword!" The full moon isn't at the height of the sky yet, probably two hours until it's peak.

"I guess, instead, we can just take a break and get our bearings. Mathias, you packed some food, right? I'm getting hungry." I lied. I have a plan.
Mathias is so sweet though, he instantly laid out this cloth for the three of us and set out the small amount of food he had snuck with him, the moon above being the only source of light. It looked flawless in the moment, and made my chest sink in tiredness, an ache for rest. I have time. I sat down beside Mathias, grabbing a torn piece of bread from the center of the cloth before finding myself leaning against Mathias. He was warm, much different to the chill of the night air around us. It was comforting.

"Sword boy. You don't have to just stand there, you can eat too." Mathias spoke softly, probably being mindful with me resting against his shoulder. I look up a bit to see that the strange kid was standing there at the edge of the fabric, keeping his gaze alert. I sit back up, my plan won't work if I don't get them both in one. I tore my bread, half and half, handing one side up to the boy.

"Go ahead, rest for a while with us. What's your name?"

"Berwald." He finally spoke after a moment of pause, reaching out and taking the piece of bread, sitting down across from us.

Two hours until I have to be at the clearing, it'll probably take me an hour or hour and a half to get there from here. I can rest here for a bit with Mathias and Berwald for a moment, it's nice. I closed my eyes and leaned back up against Mathias, holding softly onto his arm. Maybe I can even nap shortly before executing my plan and moving forward.

"Hey, um, Lukas? Where are we going anyways?" Mathias asked, extending the cloak he was wearing around my shoulders.

"I'm just collecting ingredients for Mr.Mikkel. It's a rare flower that can be used for many purposes. It's nice to keep around just in case." I gave them a suitable answer they would probably buy. Mr.Mikkel wanted these flowers anyways, I might as well pick some while I'm doing this personal errand.

"But... you said it was dangerous.. or a risk, or something-" Berwald spoke up again, resting his sword securely against his lap as he leaned forward to grab some water. "Collecting flowers isn't dangerous." He looked over at me, I could tell he isn't a warrior like Mathias says, he's just a boy, like the two of us. "I mean-...." he looked down, the hardness in his eyes leaving, "is it really that dangerous to go pick flowers around here?"