Chapter 2: We've Arrived

I stared off at the blurred trees as my parents GMC truck entered the gates of the academy. I still couldn't belive i was going to The High Meadows Riding Academy! I turned in my seat looking back at the road I had come on, knowing after this my whole life would change. I tucked a strand of my brunette hair behind my ear and stared out the front of the window.

       "We're here," my dad said in a slight excited but nervous tone. As we drove closer and closer, I starred wide eye at the school. It was so clean and pristine; every detail of the school was astonishing. My mom looks down at a pamphlet we got in the mail and started reading it aloud,

      "It says for students with horses you need to sign you and your horse in." My mom said as my dad pulled into a parking space for students with horses. I raced out of the truck to go unlock the trailer and went inside to grab Bailey, my handsome white Dutch Warmblood from his latches. I gave him a quick pat on the neck, before I started to back him out of the trailer.

      "Ok, go find the stables and check in, then you can meet us back at the truck." I nodded in response as I grabbed Bailey's lead rope and lead him down the gravel path to the stables. We stopped at the white tent in front of the stables that said, 'Student Sign In'. I walked up to the brunette haired woman at the table. When she noticed me, she gave me a warm welcoming smile.

       "Good morning, welcome to High Meadows Academy! My name is Olivia, i'm the equestrian student counselor. What's your name?" She asked me kindly.

       "I'm Sofia Myers," I gave her a friendly smile as I replied, then looked down at the sheet of paper in front of her.

      "Nice to meet you Sofia, it says here that you own Bailey, correct?" She says and looks up to me then to Bailey standing next to me.

     "Yes, ma'am" I reply with a smile.

     "Great! Bailey's stall is located on the far-left end of the stables, his name should be on the name plate on the front of the stall." As she says this, she hands me a folder with 'Equine Student Information' on the label. "That should tell you all that you need to know about tack storage, open arena times, and what dorm you will be staying in." She says with a smile. "if you have any questions, don't hesitate to come and find me. My doors are always open!" She gives me a huge smile and shakes my hand.

    "Thank you!" I say as I shake her hand, then I pull Bailey into the entrance of the stables. We walked into the huge entrance of the stables, and I stop to look around to admire the details around me. Everything was so neat and polished, with shiny golden nameplates nailed to each stall door. I headed toward the end of the stable where Olivia told me Bailey's stable was located. I stopped in front of the stall with the name Bailey inscribed into the nameplate. I stared at the nameplate a while longer, admiring it, then opened the door to lead Bailey inside. I slipped his halter and lead rope off onto my arm and slid his new clean aqua blue blanket on him. I said goodbye to Bailey and turned to walk down the stable aisle to the front of the barn. As I walked down the aisle, I was suddenly stopped as I felt something tug on my shirt. I stopped and turned around to see the face of a furry chestnut thoroughbred nibbling on my jacket. I chuckled a little,

     "aww, hungry boy? Well you can't have my jacket for a snack." I smiled and took my arm back to rub the thoroughbred on the nose. I searched around in my pocket for a treat, and a gave it to the hungry horse still trying to nibble on my jacket.

    "ehum?" I turned around to see a blond headed girl, crossing her arms and staring at me then at the horse. "What are you doing with my horse?" She walks towards her horse, pushes me out of the way in the process. 

    "Oh sorry, I was just..." she cuts me off as she clips the lead rope to the thoroughbred's halter.

    "Look, I don't really care, just stay away from Fletcher from now on. He's a champion horse, he doesn't need to be around beginners like you." She says as she begins to lead her horse out of the stables. I linger my stare on the girl and her horse, then shrug it off and leave to meet my parents at the car.

    My parents help me unload the rest of my tack and help bring it to the tack room located towards the front of the stables. 

    "Thank you, guys, so much! I'm really going to miss you guys." They both gave me a huge hug.

    "Your dad and I will help you bring your stuff up to your dorm, then well have to head out." My mom says as we walk back to the truck. I open the folder Olivia gave me and look through till I find a paper with my dorm room and dorm key. The paper reads 'Orchard Dorms – Room U126'. Dad carries the heavy boxes up to the building and put them on a cart as we go up the elevator. We finally bring everything up to my room, except for my backpack and a small box. We head back to the truck; I open the door to grab my backpack and the last box.

     "you sure you're going to be alright here without us sweety"? she rubbed my shoulder and looked at me with a concerned face.

    "I'll be fine mom; you don't have to worry". I gave her and dad a smile and a hug. I looked up at my dad and saw a little tear he was fighting back. "aww dad, don't cry!!" I hugged him tighter and he did the same.

    "I can't believe it Lorry, our little girls all grown up!" He released his hold on me and walked off to pick the last box up at the car. I looked at my mom, who was also trying not to cry and hugged her tightly one last time.

   "I'll call you guys as soon as I'm fully situated," I say as a few tears fall down my face. I wave goodbye to my parents as they back up and start to pull out onto the gravel road we entered through.